Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 unicornlover512

unicornlover512

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:43 AM

I have an older computer I use for games.Everything was deleted on accident.Can I reinstall everything without discs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:03 PM

Strange question. When you say "everything was deleted," what do you mean? How could you delete everything? The only way I know of is "format C:" - that would delete everything pretty good.

If you somehow messed up your operating system, you're gonna need your install disk for Windows, but if there are files on the disk, they may be intact.

No, you can't reinstall everything without disks. If your operating system is completely reinstalled, programs that worked with it will no longer work. If it's still there but just broken and you do a repair "over the top" install, you'll be in better shape, but you'll still have to download Windows Updates.

#3 Elixer

Elixer

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:18 AM

Hi there,

There is a trick to clean a Windows 95/98*Grinler system without using a Windows Installation Disk, but only attempt this after backing up the SYSTEM.DAT file in your Windows folder. This is a hidden file so you will either need to use the "ATTRIB -R -A -S -H {Filename}" command to unhide it or enable it in your folder options within Windows to view hidden files.

Once you have this file backed up. You can replace it with a file located in the root of you C:\ drive called SYSTEM.1ST (also hidden). This file is the original system registry configuration file that is automatically backed up during the initial installation of the operating system. You will need to rename it to SYSTEM.DAT and copy it into the Windows folder (replacing the old one). Once you do that, it is like reinstalling Windows without having to go through the entire procedure.

Old trick of mine to save time.

Good luck,

Bill
Resident Geek

"There is an answer to every question, but is there an answer to every problem?"

#4 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 12:24 PM

There is a trick to clean a Windows 95/98*Grinler system without using a Windows Installation Disk...
Old trick of mine ...

Fantastic, Thanks Bill. :thumbsup:

By the way, if you could tell us Mel's secret, it'd be much appreciated...

:flowers:

Just kidding,

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users