Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD, Overheating, Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dutchie430

Dutchie430

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

Hi,

I am having multiple problems with my HP Pavilion DV5 (product # NA425AV) laptop so I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to post so please let me know if it needs to be moved to another forum.

It's running Vista Home Premium, 64 bit. ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics Driver. AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core QL-60. 1900 MHZ processor. 4096 MB memory.
I have checked to see if my model is on the HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement list and it's not.

The issues most prevalent for the last six months or so are CPU running at 99 -100% all the time, very slow IE, IE and other programs like MS Word not responding and extreme heat. About a month ago, both my battery and volume icons both disappeared. They are both check marked on the Notification Area tab in the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties but will not reappear. It runs hot enough to burn your legs if it's sitting on your lap and lately it's even hot on top. This past week it started randomly shutting down which I assume was due to the heat issue. When I would restart, it would run for a bit and then shut down again. I have used compressed air to try to clean the vent but it has not helped. I started to try to take it apart to get to the fan and clean it but after removing all the screws and getting as far as lifting the keyboard, I decided it is over my head. Further research online confirms this - HP really buried the fan in this unit.

After one of the restarts, I got a warning from Norton that my antivirus was turned off. I tried to turn it back on but it would come back and say that it had failed. I ended up doing a chat with a Norton tech and authorized remote access. Norton said they were going to remove my Norton 2009 software and update it with the 2010 version. The tech was working for just a short time and suddenly a BSOD appeared saying:
Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session XXXXXXXXXX process
terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc00000000 (0xc0000001 0x001005a0).
The system has been shut down.

Where I have inserted "XXXXXXXXXX", I was unable to read the name of the process.

I ended up working on my own all night trying to restart without the BSOD - tried safe mode last known good config multiple times but kept getting the BSOD. I finally was able to start normally but then it would shut down because of the overheating issue (again, I'm assuming that's why). I put some freezer packs under the bottom to cool it down and eventually was able to install the updated Norton. When I then started up IE, my homepage was hijacked and I was redirected to MSN.com.

Decided to contact HP to check on the overheat issue. Hours online with a tech (using my BF's laptop to chat), tech had me update the BIOS and reinstall Power Management to no avail. Tech said he believed the motherboard and the controllers had gone bad. Of course it's out of warranty by 6 months(purchased Dec '08) and he offered a repair at $400. Also said I could try a system recovery. When I asked him about known heat issues w/Pavilion models, he gave me an phone number to call customer support. I have not bothered to do that.

After dealing with the HP tech, I have now experienced additional errors:

I went in to try to back up my data and my cd/dvd drive had disappeared. I ended up putting in a SanDisk into a USB hub and the cd/dvd drive reappeared but won't function. It tells me to put in a writable CD which of course is what I have put in already. I tried using a Microsoft Fixit solution but when I try to download, it tells me there was an error in downloading (nothing specific) and tells me to try again later.

Catalyst Control Centre Host Application has stopped working.

hpCaslNotification has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Error 1601: Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Check Problem Reports and Solutions in Control Panel. (I tried checking and there was nothing there. I then looked at System Info and it shows Windows Error Reporting as disabled.

251 CMOS Checksum Error

msiexec.exe Application Error Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)

Where I'm at now:
I do have Malwarebytes and HijackThis installed. Malwarebytes scan didn't turn up anything when I did a quick scan yesterday. I did get an error with Malwarebytes: (OpenEvent) Failed to perform desired action. Error Code 2. I also did an ESET scan and Prevx scan with nothing found in either. I ended up putting it in my refrigerator to keep it cool enough to avoid shut down - I'm not kidding! I've been running a Panda ActiveScan for the last 6 hours or so - it's at 38% (800,000 files) and has found 2 infected files. It seems impossible that it's taking this long but it is definitely running.

Update: Panda is finally complete - took about 12 hours. Two threats found - a cookie and Generic trojan virus is listed as "Not disinfectable".

00167647 Cookie/Yadro c:\users\nadine\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\cookies\low\nadine@yadro[2].txt
05241074 Generic Trojan c:\swsetup\sp43325\data1.cab[cl264dec.ax]

Hope I didn't give too much info! I've tried everything I know and am so frustrated! Where do I go from here?

Thanks much,

Dutchie

Edited by Dutchie430, 29 June 2010 - 12:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users