Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ngase

ngase

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

This is why: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/327184/spilled-water-on-power-strip/ (In an nutshell - I spilled water on my power strip, and as a result I ruined the controller on the motherboard)

This is the current motherboard I have: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3239113

ASUS A8M2N-LA
Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in
Socket: AM2

I'd like to stay under $100, and if needed I would be interested in a new processor if it makes things easier for both me (installing) and you (helping me find a new motherboard).

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

Well...my general rule is to get a more recent motherboard/CPU when the opportunity presents itself, so I would be thinking CPU, board, and (possibly) RAM. It's a matter of what you want.

You don't indicate what CPU you have...not sure if that's pertinent unless you intend to use the same CPU.

Potential Combinations

I find that Newegg is not particularly interested in budget/older boards, so I won't list them as a point of comparison.

IMO...it really comes down to how much money you want to spend...and whether or not you game.

Louis

#3 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Louis!

This computer is for someone who will be only using the computer for Word and Firefox.

I see you have Socket AM3 as a criteria. I had AM2 on the original, but I would presume since this comes with a processor already that I do not need to worry about that...would this be a correct statement? (Note: I am new to the motherboard market, so bare with my stupidity)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

I don't have socket AM3 as a criterion...I just listed what TD is carrying in stock these days which I feel is reasonably priced.

Retailers won't carry obsolete stock items for very long, which is probably why you won't find any AM2 boards listed at all at Newegg. TD and other suppliers will probably reflect more AM3 boards as the oldest portion of inventory items.

As for replacing the CPU...I reflected my approach. I see no reason to continue with an older processor when I can get a more recent one with no disadvantage. i currently have 2 systems running Athlon II processors only because...the price was right at the time. My X2 processors were fine, I had no complaints...it was just easy to go with something newer, improved.

Louis

#5 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

Ok, I think the first one listed is a fair price for what it is: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=4297

But I just want a confirmation, here is what is listed under "Detailed Specs":

Processor Interface: Socket AM2+
Form Factor: Micro ATX
Processor Interface: Socket AM3

My current mobo is a MicroATX, and if I go with the new processor, will this work with my computer? If it matters, I plan on reinstalling Windows once I get everything pieced together.

Thanks again!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

Well...you have an HP case...and I don't know anything about HP customization of components.

A good example is your current board. Although it's made by Asus, it was made/customized for HP. What the differences might be between the Asus product retailed...and the board in your system...I cannot say.

I could give you a better answer if you had a regular case, regular PSU, etc.

The boards are the same size, can use the same RAM, new board only has one PATA connector, but supports 2 devices...4 SATA connectors, typical onboard functions.

Perhaps someone else here can speak of HP cases.

Louis

#7 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:42 PM

After reviewing locations of things, I think this one should work... the only thing that I am unsure of is the dimensions. My current one is 9.6" x 9.6" while the one in my last post is 20cm (7.87") x 24.4cm (9.6") however, both are Micro ATX...will the risers still line up?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

Yes, the standoffs are moveable...cases are built to accommodate different board specs. A micro-ATX board fits where a former micro-ATX board was used.

Louis

#9 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

Thanks again, Louis!

I've never done any work that involved removing a motherboard, but when I started looking for a replacement, I was only looking at the 9.6"x9.6" only and eliminating the rest. I learned something new, so thanks!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

So I got everything (well, nearly everything) connected, and went to turn it on, and nothing happened. I double checked all my cables to make sure they were connected in the right spots, well, my Front Panel Connector (Power LED, hard drive LED, On/Off, etc) was in the wrong spot on the motherboard. So I looked around to find out where they belonged.

The problem happens here - All the cables that go to the front are all together, rather than being separate, and the current configuration doesn't line up with the configuration on the motherboard. What can be done about this?

Please let me know if I can clear any detail up.

#12 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

Nevermind, I found out you can pop the wires out. I then adjusted it to match the motherboard setup.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

LOL...just what I was going to say :thumbsup:.

The first time you do any of these things...everything becomes a cause for alarm :huh:.

Are you up and running now?

Now...you realize that your hard drive...still has the drivers installed from your old board. Those need to be uninstalled and replaced...or you need to do a clean install of the O/S.

Worth reading...Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#14 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

I am up and running with the original installation of Win7. The mobo came with a CD with the drivers, so I installed those - should I still do a clean install even though everything works?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

Well...I tend to remove any drivers which I don't use, even if I don't change a motherboard (I see no reason to have something installed which can potentially gum up the works any day).

Strictly your call, it's your system...you decide what risks you want to take.

I will only say that you should read Mr. Stevens link, he's a very knowledgeable person, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users