Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sandbboxie do you use it?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

I was wondering if other people use sandboxie and how much protection does it offer when surfing the internet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

Yes, I use Sandboxie. It offers good protection. If a trojan or virus infects you when browsing a bad site, it is contained within Sandboxie and does not infect your system. You can just delete all Sandboxie contents to get rid of it.

The level of protection also depends on your awareness about malware. If you do not know that you are infected and accidentally or intentionally save the modified data to your actual system folders, then you are doomed.

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

mute20

Good 3 part video review below.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

#4 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

It may be the best free security app of all time.

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

Thanks mute20, I had never heard of sandboxie before. It looks interesting.

@Red Dawn, thanks for the links to the tutorial videos. Did you see the video response on the first one? In it the person says that the stuff IN the sandbox is saved in system restore. Is that true?

EDIT: i forgot to put the link in. DOH!!!!!! Link

Edited by DeathStalker, 03 July 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#6 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hi DeathStalker,

Nothing to worry about really.

Q. Why does my anti-virus detect a virus in the System Volume Information folder?

A. The System Restore component in Windows collects various files into the System Volume Information when they are deleted. While the intention is to protect your system, sometimes System Restore ends up making copies of virus files. These virus files are inactive, and even if restored, will be restored into the sandbox, so there is little cause for alarm. Nevertheless, it is a good idea to let your anti-virus get rid of any such virus files.

Note that this will not occur if you securely wipe the contents of the sandbox (see previous quesion).

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?FAQ_Virus

I currently use CCleaner to securely delete the contents of the Sandbox.

Or, to prevent System Restore backing up Sandbox files in the first place:

The System Restore component ignores files and folders in temporary folders, so moving the sandbox to C:\TEMP\SANDBOX instead of the default C:\SANDBOX should cause System Restore to ignore the sandbox when creating a snapshot.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?PrivacyConcerns

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

Thanks.

#8 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members