Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computer shuts down right after I turn it on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 donna864

donna864

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

I have an Emachine that was purchased in 2008 off the shelf. It currently has XP installed. I don't think it is specifically an XP problem, but that is what is installed so I will post it here.

Originally it came installed with Vista. A few weeks ago I noticed that when I turned it on, it would get part way through the startup process and just mysteriously power down, almost like a power blip because there would be no error message and no beep, just instant silence. I would push the power button again and would get the screen says that it shut down abnormally and could choose to enter safe mode. I would then pick normal boot up and then it would boot up. It usually would power down twice and then the third time it would start up. I have a friend who "knows computers". He doesn't like Vista, so he reformatted my hard drive, installed XP and gave it back to me. It continued to do the same problem. He figured it was the hard drive, so we bought a new hard drive and he installed XP on it and it does the same thing on the new hard drive. Now it will power down every time though. Once you get it up and running, it will run all day with no problems of it shutting down. It only appears to do it on startup.

I am on the computer right now. When I start it up, I have to push the power button the first time and it will boot up for maybe 3 seconds and then "power down" with no error messages or beeps. I then push the button again and choose safe mode with networking and it will run all day. The only catch here is that one time it actually "powered down" after I choose safe mode, but every other time, that option will allow the computer to boot and run normally (well minus a few functions like printing !)

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks
Donna

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Anytime the system powers down for no apparent reason...I tend to think "PSU". I don't think there's anything in the O/S that can result in a system shutting down...seems like an obvious hardware problem to me, so I start with the most basic item...the PSU.

I would have tried a different PSU before doing anything else.

Is It My Power Supply - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169618/is-it-my-power-supply/

Power Supply How To Diagnose Power Supply Problems - http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/pc/hardware...er/diagnose.php

Your remark about it running in safe mode...contradicts my premise, I cannot explain that.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2010 - 09:27 AM.

#3 donna864

donna864
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

that is my thinking as well, that it should blink out more than just when it starts up if it was the power supply? or is there more draw at that time than there is just running regularly.

Thank you for your prompt reply. That might be my next step.

We jumped in and changed hard drives so fast and that obviously wasn't the problems, I also welcome any other opinions before I make my next move.

Donna

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

When you say start up do you mean the boot up process, or do you mean after you login to begin using Windows XP?

If it is the former then proceed to the next step.

I would create another account via Control Panel > User Accounts and proceed to use that account to see if something is corrupted.

#5 donna864

donna864
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

Crypto, it happens during the boot process before you can choose a user to log into XP. Would it help me to create another user if it happens before I can choose a user? Also it did this on the other hard drive when I was running Vista also.

As of right now, I guess I am going to try a new power supply to see if that affects the problem. I will try to get one tonight.

Thanks
Donna

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

Don't buy a new component...just try a different, borrowed PSU for comparative purposes first.

If the issue vanishes with the borrowed PSU, then you will have evidence pointing toward the purchase of a new PSU. If not, it's back to the drawing board :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

Can you get into Safe Mode?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users