Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supplies

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 survivor

survivor

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:23 AM

[size=7]

I am looking for a power supply for a new system build and would like to know the difference between active and non active pfc.Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:26 AM

See:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page5.html

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:27 AM

Hi survivor,

Welcome to BleepingComputer.

PFC power supplies are designed to provide the cleanest power to your pc. Check out these sites...

Power Supply Fundamentals

endpcnoise.com

The second site has some recommended power supplies. (Note: Always look around before you buy.)

I hope this helps,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 survivor

survivor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

See:

Thanks both for the replys. I have checked out the sites and will go with a power supply with the PFC

See:

Thanks both for the replys. I have checked out the sites and will go with a power supply with the PFC

Have another question. What is the difference in Windows OEM or Retail purchase for my home computer. It will not be used for gaming or business.

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:34 AM

Without going into any major details, the short of it is:

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture, Must purchase a piece of hardware in order to purchase OEM & is tied to the original machine installed on.
Retail = May be purchase from a retail store and is transferable to a different computer &/or hardware as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

In response to the OEM?retail question...
The biggest difference, I believe, is that the OEM version is meant to be installed by a system builder to sell to an end user and, thus, will provide tech support for the machine and the OS. If you buy a retail version of XP you are entitled to tech support from MS. But, if you buy and use an OEM version for your own install you do not get tech support. This is not an issue for anyone that knows their way around computers.

For more clarification go here..

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 survivor

survivor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:52 AM

In response to the OEM?retail question...
The biggest difference, I believe, is that the OEM version is meant to be installed by a system builder to sell to an end user and, thus, will provide tech support for the machine and the OS. If you buy a retail version of XP you are entitled to tech support from MS. But, if you buy and use an OEM version for your own install you do not get tech support. This is not an issue for anyone that knows their way around computers.

For more clarification go here..

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

The computer I am now using was built for me and has Windows XP Pro.I want to give this computer to my daughter I have the Windows XP Pro disc that came with this computer. The new system that I am having built will have Windows XP Home with parts from Newegg. I don't think there will be a problem with her using this computer as long as the OS stays on it. Any thoughts on that?

#8 survivor

survivor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:29 AM

This is a list of components that I am thinking of for my new system. I still need to decide on the Windows OS as to go OEM or retail. I was also told that I would not need a VID card but I am not sure about that. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. I am still checking on fans also

Proc AMD Athlon 64 3000+ ADA3000BPBOX

Mem Kingston Hyper X KHX3500A/512

PS Antec NeoHE NEOHE 430

MoBo MSI K8N Neo4-F K8N Neo4-F

Int H.D. Maxtor 120GB 6Y120PO

Floppy Mitsumi D359M3

ATX Case Cooler Master CAC-T05-WW

CD Burner Lite-ON SOHR-5239S

Vid Card Sapphire Radeon X550 100118L

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:38 PM

According to Kingston memory search that motherboard doesn't support Kingston Hyper X memory, only Kingston Value RAM.

And I have personally had some bad experiences with Maxtor hard drives and would recommend using Seagate or Western Digital instead.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users