Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I prevent LAN Setting changes by Malware?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mitzikbh

mitzikbh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:25 AM

I am a novice that can't afford the $150 BestBuy or TrendMicro want to remove problems from my computer. I have been infected three times this month by avsoft Trojan.Fraudpack, and avsuite Rogue.AntivirusSuite. The first time I found excellent advice from BleepingComputer.com on how to remove these, via TrendMicro and Malwarebytes anti-malware. It was three weeks before the second attack, then two days until the third. I have tried to figure out what website it is coming from with no success. I suspect one of the ones my spouse looks at but whatta ya do...

The Trendmicro software (cheap version) seems to be slow in identifying the attack but at least it does after awhile, and seems to stop the malware long enough that I can get the computer to open Malwarebytes and begin the scan to find and remove the malware.

The malware seems to go straight to the LAN settings and checks the box allowing proxy. It blocks me from going to Internet Options to change it back to the correct settings.

So, my question: Is there a security setting I can check the box of to prevent any changes to the LAN settings? This is getting really annoying, and my spouse knows even less than I do so just has to abandon the computer and leave it for me to fix.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dragonalumni

dragonalumni

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:42 AM

How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to scan and remove malware from your computer
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...alware-tutorial

Edited by dragonalumni, 28 June 2010 - 12:43 AM.

#3 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:23 AM

Since you are being infected that much in such a short time you need to byte the bullet and buy a good antivirus program. You need one that is always running in the background. There are lots of opinions as to which one is the best. I peresonally use Norton Internet Security 2010 and it has caught trojans that have tried to infect my pc while surfing. You can use Google to search on reviews of antivirus suites to get a idea of what is out there. Remember, you get what you pay for.

#4 mitzikbh

mitzikbh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:22 AM

I did use the malware removal tutorial and it worked, just wondering about the check the box part of my post. I expect I will buy the Malwarebyte antivirus program too, but wonder why Microsoft doesn't have a way to block the LAN settings from being changed.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:57 AM

Malware Bytes is anti malware, not anti virus. You need to have and anti virus and anti malware.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

You must have a active anti-virus and firewall if you have a chance to stop this from happening over and over again. These two items will cost from 10 to 15 cents a day, 365 days, not bad.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

What you construe to be reinfections...may just be the fact that you never truly neutralized all malware on the system.

I'm moving this thread to our Am I Infected forum.

As for preventing proxy server changes inflicted by malware...I don't think there's a solution for that...but that's just an uneducated guess. The key, IMO, is to do all that can be done to prevent malware from taking a hold in the system.

Louis

#8 VoidX789

VoidX789

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

What I use to keep Viruses, Malware, Worms, and all the like:
Avast!
Ad-Aware
Malwarebytes (Yes, i know its anti-MALWARE.)
Spybot- Search and Destroy

This will help remove most viruses & the like
Welcome to the Void of Insanity
Posted Image

#9 mitzikbh

mitzikbh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

Thanks everybody - I'll suck it up and buy a decent protection system - cheaper than the aggravation that's for sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users