Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer Data From Drive to Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SP127

SP127

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

Well, I'm asking, but I think i'm SOL. Long story short, I turned my computer off last night and when I turned it back on this morning it went into a boot loop. Since then, I have tried plugging it into another computer to determine the issue, in which case that computer decided it felt like doing a CHKDSK on it. That CHKDSK has now caused the hard drive to give me a "Verifying DMI Pool. Data Disk read error."

I'm not too worried about getting it running again or anything, but there are quite a lot of family pictures on that hard drive and if at all possible I'd like to transfer them to another drive.

So I suppose what I am basically asking is, is it possible to transfer files from a hard drive that won't boot to a working hard drive? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

Yes, all you have to do is connect the drive in another computer as a slave drive, don't choose it as the boot drive in the boot menu.

You should be able to browse the drives contents and save the folder to your boot drive.
The reason a chkdsk was performed, is because windows was not shut down properly the last time it was accessed.
Good luck.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 SP127

SP127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:42 AM

I connected the drive as a slave on my newer computer, and when I went to access it a message popped up saying it couldn't be accessed and was corrupted. Would it be worthwhile to use a data recovery program like EASEUS to see if I can get anything off of it?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:56 AM

I connected the drive as a slave on my newer computer, and when I went to access it a message popped up saying it couldn't be accessed and was corrupted. Would it be worthwhile to use a data recovery program like EASEUS to see if I can get anything off of it?

I can not advise you on this program called EASEUS since I have never used or heard of it before.

If you feel you can save your data this way you can try it but I can not advise you on its use.

Usually people use a LiveCD from UBUNTU linux to access the contents of corrupt drives.

Try the program you mentioned above, if it fails to work, try using the LiveCD, you'll have to burn the ISO to a cdrom and boot from it and access the drive while it is connected to a data cable on the same computer.
Here is the link to the ISO image you'll need for burning a bootable LiveCD

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 SP127

SP127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:30 AM

I can not advise you on this program called EASEUS since I have never used or heard of it before.

If you feel you can save your data this way you can try it but I can not advise you on its use.

Usually people use a LiveCD from UBUNTU linux to access the contents of corrupt drives.

Try the program you mentioned above, if it fails to work, try using the LiveCD, you'll have to burn the ISO to a cdrom and boot from it and access the drive while it is connected to a data cable on the same computer.
Here is the link to the ISO image you'll need for burning a bootable LiveCD

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Perfect, thank you. I'll give the data recovery program a shot and see what I can find. If I can't find anything, I'll try out LiveCD. Thanks again.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

If your files were in the Documents/Settings group of folders...and you received the "access denied" message...that's perfectly normal.

The way to overcome that is to take ownership of the files in those folders.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#7 SP127

SP127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

If your files were in the Documents/Settings group of folders...and you received the "access denied" message...that's perfectly normal.

The way to overcome that is to take ownership of the files in those folders.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

I couldn't access the drive at all, not just the Documents and Settings folders. It was telling me it is corrupt which doesn't surprise me after all of the problems CHKDSK has a habit of causing. I did, however, manage to recover 1300 pictures with the data recovery software.

#8 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

It's good to have a recovery program around - they work wonders as long as the hard drive still spins and the heads move! Redundancy is getting difficult for me - I have about 30k pictures and videos accumulated over the past 5 years (my wife is crazy about taking pictures and videos!) - but is still the easiest solution to future problems. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users