Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2701HG-B Gateway 5.29.109.5

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Liger_XT5

Liger_XT5

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

A quick rundown on what is going on with my network.
Skip to the last paragraph for my question.

We have the 2wire dsl from ATT in our shop (metal building in the backyard, been expanded 2 since it was built to help expand the business my dad started 15 years ago.) It's connected to a simple Hub which splits the internet to our windows server 2003 and two other client computers. The WiFi is used from time to time.
From that hub, we have a network line ran to the house that I, and some family, live in. The line is hooked to a router with WiFi (linksys) that I set as a normal hub (why waste money if you can reuse stuff?). From there it is split among 3 client computers and 2 xbox's.

The other day, the family had relative that most of us didn't like having around, but was because of her grandchildren. She wouldn't get off the internet to help around or made us late to certain plans. I was asked about just doing a temporary disable on her computer. I thought it was simple, I can find out her Mac address.

In the end, I was just frustrated. I knew I can do port forwarding and so forth, done so with the server. But I can't block sites, IP's, or allow a computer network, but not allow it internet? I had to disable the internet to the house physically from the shop.

I am at a lost on the 2wire. How do I limit internet bandwidth on certain attached computers (we tend to have issues when two or more computers/xbox's are trying to play/update/etc. and nothing can be done about priority. Example: Netflix on the xbox and downloading large files. Bye Bye Netflix for the kids. Another example is the xbox And wii using netflix and the shop computer can't send data to UPS for shipping out products.).

Honestly, the show's that are watch, don't NEED to be HD. We are on a 6Mb connection (note, little :thumbsup: that we don't seem to get half when I do the math. I've tested with only my pc being on and downloading files from different sources.

How can I control the internet usage on the network with my 2701HG-B Gateway Software: 5.29.109.5? We just need to give the server Higher priority and the consoles limited bandwidth.
(Note: I've tried to check updates on the gateway link, http://gateway.cms.2wire.com/hp/upgrade/showUpgrades.do, and I get an instant Server Not Found message from Firefox.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drmusic4771

drmusic4771

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

Try using internet explorer i clicked on your link you provided and said no upgrade available so you do have the latest firmware I actually have the same modem as you. You can actually login to your router by entering using internet explorer: http://gateway.2wire.net or http://192.168.1.254 when you login to your modem you can change values and such but not sure how to limit bandwidth but I will keep checking for you anyways and let you know if I find anything ok.

#3 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:40 PM

You can make a separate account for your relative and use parental controls to block certain websites, or you can set specific time frame for internet usage. That way everyone doesn't have to be punished with lower bandwidth. Only her.

Edited by tommy28, 05 September 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#4 drmusic4771

drmusic4771

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

OH ok you mean within the operating system ? or the modem itself ? sorry if so how did you do that thanks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users