Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot problem!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

Hello big problem I created here and below is what happend.

I have a 500 Gb harddrive which had one partition containing an NTFS volume of Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit.

I decided to install UBUNTU on the same harddrive with Win 7 and allowed it to create another partition.

The install of UBUNTU went well and it upgraded to version 10.4 LTS.

The problem is when the computer is booting up I get 7 choices in the boot options.
1. UBUNTU, with Linux 2.6.32-22-generic
2. UBUNTU, with Linux 2.6.32-22-generic (recovery mode)
3. UBUNTU, with Linux 2.6.32-14-generic
4, UBUNTU, with Linux 2.6.32-14-generic (recovery mode)
5, Memory test (Memtest86+)
6, Memory test (Memtest86+, serial consol115200)
7, Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)

Windows 7 is the seventh option on the list, when I choose it, there is a blinking curser in the upper left hand corner of a black screen, but it never boots into Windows or past that blinking curser.

I have tried to do recovery options to Windows 7, I have a Windows 7 repair disk made from the windows 7 OS, I have done the repair boot option which is supposed to repair a computer that fails to boot into windows, it says its fixing the boot and the computer restarts and goes back to the UBUNTU boot menu, the 7th option boot to Windows 7 (listed above) still fails to go beyond the blinking curser.

I have tried system restore from the repair disk, it works, but still fails to make windows 7 bootable again.
I am familiar with repair options with Windows operating systems, however I am not with UBUNTU. I have tried to remove or delete the second partition to which UBUNTU is installed, nothing works to delete it and nothing windows related can see any signs of UBUNTU or its partition, so theres no way I can even figure out how to remove or uninstall UBUNTU and make the 500 Gb drive one whole partition again even if it means losing everything on the drive.
I still have a full backup of windows 7 on another hard drive, so if I had to format and repartition the drive I have the ability to recover for the backup, however, deleting the partition to which UBUNTU created and is on so far has been impossible.

I have even booted to the UBUNTU cdrom and tried deleting the volume UBUNTU is on, but the result was the drive is in use even though I am booting from the cdrom.

I can see all the windows folders through the UBUNTU OS it shows that partition now as a 288 GB one.

So my question is, is there a way to fix the windows 7 boot from the UBUNTU boot menu?
Or if I have to choose a total loss, how do I get rid of the partition UBUNTU created and its volume from the hard drive to gain back the whole entire 500 Gb drive space to one continuous drive again?

If any further information is needed, ask and I'll provide that information.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 June 2010 - 09:24 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:33 AM

http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html

This should allow you to boot into Windows again. If Ubuntu is still on the drive and you want to boot into it, follow the instructions in the quote below:

You can also easily reinstall grub2 to the MBR from the Ubuntu 10.04 alternate install CD. Just boot the alternate install CD and choose "rescue a broken system". It will proceed through a few screens and then get to a screen where it gives you the option to reinstall grub2 to the MBR.

This will reinstall grub2, and it should detect the Windows partition correctly.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

I've had a similar problem before with the GRUB loader. Following the instructions above should solve your problem. If not, we'll have to go from there.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

OK now an update.

No matter what I tried, using Windows 7 recovery disks or the Windows 7 installation DVD, nothing actually return Windows 7 to a bootable OS.

However Grub or if you prefer UBUNTU worked fine.

I eneded up having to download GParted from http://sourceforge.net I had to delete the linux swap partition, then the partition, named sda4 then the sda3 to which linux resided, then the sda2 partition to which was the free space.

I had Gparted expand windows 7 partition from 288 Gb back out to 465 GB.

My next problem was the volume to which Windows 7 was installed was listed as corrupted, it kept reporting the volume was corrupted, nothing I did at that point corrected the problem.

I am very lucky to be one of those people who automatically backs up my Windows 7 OS to another hard drive on a weekly basis. I have this action activated through Windows 7's action center.

Solution: I booted from my Windows 7 DVD, I deleted the Windows 7 partiton so it was unallocated.

I then created a partition called system reserve, then another partition to which Windows 7 would be installed.

I installed windows 7, which went flawlessly, Then I turned off my computer, hooked up the backup hard drive and rebooted my computer and activated it in my system BIOS.

Once Windows 7 was done booting, I went to the backup utility in Windows 7 and chose the restore your computer from a system image and surprisingly everything except for my installed programs were restored, even my FAVORITES from Internet Explorer 8 were included.

Luckily it restored the Documents folder to which I saved all my install executables for all my programs I once had, so restoring every 100% has so far been succesful.

Next time I install UBUNTU, I will install it to another hard drive, to which I will use my BIOS BOOT menu to switch between which drive I boot to, this will prevent one OS from creating a BOOT option menu to access the other one. Which is what I believe now is what I should have done in the first place.

Moral of this story, if you have windows 7, make sure you do regular OS backups to another hard drive, its easier then using multible optical disks for one and in the event something like what happened to me, you can recover successfully from what ever problems an installation of another program might cause you.

Many thanks to those who have helped and those I may have helped by my posting this thread.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

Well time for...yet another update! :thumbsup:

I added another hard drive and installed UBUNTU on it.

Install went well and works.

Now one thing I did not do was make this installation bootable through any type of mutlible choice boot menus!

If I want to boot to UBUNTU, I enter my BIOS and switch the hard drive it is installed on to the first bootable hard drive and whoolaaa! It works hassle free.

On th eother hand, I swict to the Windows 7 hard drive and whooolaa 7 boots no problems!

My thrid hard drive is still a backup, in case something like this happens again. :flowers:

Thanks all for reading. :trumpet:

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

The problem you experienced with installing Ubuntu as a dual boot with W7 on the same HDD could have been caused by
not defragmenting Windows prior to shrinking the drive/partition that W7 was on.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for your input, I am happy to say I defragment my harddrive after I install any programs and usually every two days. :thumbsup:

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

I recall a couple of other things that could cause the problem. One was a power glitch and the other was
installing Ubuntu while Windows has in "hibernation". I've used the automatic install for Ubuntu several times
without a problem and presently have it in dual boot on two comps with XP and W7.
Anyone new to Ubuntu and reading this topic might think that your problem was common which from my experience
it isn't. That is one of the reasons I posted earlier.

I use a command that cleans up grub and removes old kernels. It is recommended though to keep one old kernel
just in case you need to revert back for any reason.

The latest kernel is 2.6.32-23

The commands to remove the two you have now after installing -23 are below. If you use them be sure to type exactly
or copy and paste or you could end up removing the wrong kernel or worse.

sudo apt-get remove --purge 2.6.32-22-*
sudo apt-get remove --purge 2.6.32-14-*

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Great advice and thanks for sharing that info. :thumbsup:

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

I recall a couple of other things that could cause the problem. One was a power glitch and the other was
installing Ubuntu while Windows has in "hibernation". I've used the automatic install for Ubuntu several times
without a problem and presently have it in dual boot on two comps with XP and W7.
Anyone new to Ubuntu and reading this topic might think that your problem was common which from my experience
it isn't. That is one of the reasons I posted earlier.

How can windows be in hibernation mode when WIndows is not running while installing Ubuntu onto another partition, and also Windows goes into hiberantion when not in use so it wouldn't be in use even when using Wubi.

I use a command that cleans up grub and removes old kernels. It is recommended though to keep one old kernel
just in case you need to revert back for any reason.

The latest kernel is 2.6.32-23

The commands to remove the two you have now after installing -23 are below. If you use them be sure to type exactly
or copy and paste or you could end up removing the wrong kernel or worse.

sudo apt-get remove --purge 2.6.32-22-*
sudo apt-get remove --purge 2.6.32-14-*

It it is always recommend not deleting older Kernels and keep at least 3 or 4 installed for back up reasons. A kernel you install may go wrong, and you will need to fix it by reverting back.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

cryptodan---Could you be thinking of "suspend" or "standby" mode instead of "hibernate"?

In the official wiki for installing Ubuntu as a dual boot with Vista or W7 it is recommended to use Windows to shrink its volume .
After shrinking it is recommended to reboot at least twice.

Here is a link to the wiki:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_In...partition_sizes

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

I always recommend writing zero to the drives and deleting the master boot record via fdisk /mbr then reinstalling Windows first then installing Linux first it will 99% of the time detect the windows installation and automatically add it to the boot loader whether it be LILO or Grub. This method has always worked for the people I know who have tried it. If you install Windows last after installing Ubuntu or any flavor of linux/unix you will need to configure either the Windows boot loader to boot linux or the linux boot loader to boot windows.

How to boot Linux using Windows bootloader (XP)

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

It was kind of weird, as much as I tried to fix windows 7 using any method, it kept reporting a corrupted volume.

When I installed UNBUNTU I installed it from a commercial copy of the disk to which I booted to. I did not install UBUNTU while booted into Windows.

I think the upgrade I performed from 9.10 to 10.4 LTS may have caused the problem somewhere along the line, because the upgrade was performed while on-line, so who knows, I just know that the Windows 7 repair options failed to correct anything regarding that warning about a corrupted volume and that error was reported from any options related to fixing the MBR.

I know I was still able to see all of Windows 7's folders on the 1st partition, from within UBUNTU, so they were still there.

I also know that the hard disk was not the problem either, because windows 7 is back on it again as a single OS like before and everything is fine, like it was before I even tried adding UBUNTU to the same drive.

Either way it was a strange occurence for sure.

#14 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

For future reference this guide will address many issues such as these:
http://lotphelp.com/?p=395

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

Thanks adam17 for that link and I have read the artical.

I spend most of my time in Windows 7. But I am trying to get myself to boot over to UBUNTU to get used to its layout.

About 4 years ago I was messing with Open Suse and lost interest when I started getting involved with 3-D gaming software and how to use textures, shaders and antimated avatars using scripts and such.

But now I want to work with open source operating systems because the Kernel is publicly availble and is not copy-writed against improvements and enhancements. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users