Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound, Sound non-configurable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zurenriri

Zurenriri

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm posting as my grandfather's "family computer expert" but I can't seem to fix this.

His Dell studio laptop has no sound, and the sound cannot be turned on. So the first thing I did was I went to playback devices and found that he had some audio manager called "IDT" installed. I uninstalled that, restarted, still no sound. So then I uninstalled some driver manager called "DriverCure" that he had, thinking that he could have had an incompatible driver, but that was futile as well.

So... now I'm out of ideas and I'm trying to figure out how to get his audio working again. Under playback devices, it says that his speakers are working, but pressing the configure button does absolutely nothing and I'm unable to raise the volume level above zero.

I'm sorry I'm unable to explain the situation better, but this is not my computer and I'm not familiar with it. I'm just cleaning up the mess...

Please try to help if you can. Thanks in advance.

// Zurenriri

EDIT: System information...
Dell Studio 1535 Notebook
Windows Vista Home Premium x86
Intel Core2 Duo T5750 @ 2.0GHz
3.5 GB System Memory
320GB Hard Disk
More info available upon request...

Edited by Zurenriri, 27 June 2010 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

First...go to the Dell website and download the appropriate drivers for the system. Might as well get all of them, even though we are only concerned with the audio drivers today.

Then...go into Device Manager. Click on Sound, Video & Game Controllers. Uninstall everything except for "legacy" items and "codecs". Better yet, don't uninstall anything, just post a screenshot of the items reflected there and we can tell you what to uninstall.

Then...I suggest that you follow the procedures at Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

I would then initiate chkdsk /r. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to new window's question and hit Enter. Reboot the system.

The chkdsk /r command will execute...then the system will boot into XP.

Install the correct Dell audio driver package.

Louis

#3 Zurenriri

Zurenriri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

Uninstall everything except for "legacy" items and "codecs". Better yet, don't uninstall anything, just post a screenshot of the items reflected there and we can tell you what to uninstall.Louis

Stopped reading there to give you a response.

There are only two things under Sound, video, and game controllers...
-- ATI HDMI Audio
-- IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Which, if any, do I uninstall?

#4 Zurenriri

Zurenriri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

This was never resolved. Bump.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

I'll try to assist you.

All laptops have FN buttons that control the audio output volume controls, have you tried using those keys on the keyboard to adjust the volume controls?

There are also sound card options built into the BIOS setup utility's firmware on laptops, you may have to enter the laptops BIOS to see the status of those settings.

Removing the drivers, if you have done so already should have either had windows show notice of an unknown device at boot up or it should be reflected in your device manager by displaying unknown device with an exclamation mark.

Right clicking and choosing properties, should allow you the option to roll back or update the driver, you may have to have a disk that came with your laptop, it will search the disk for the ini file to add to windows information data base and thus installing the drivers to allow windows the ability to work with the device again.

Any further questions please ask.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users