Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difference between free trial version and pay version of FileRescue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shanomar

Shanomar

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Hey-
My hard drive crashed a few weeks ago. Computer store said they couldn't recover anything off the hard drive. My neighbor is a computer guy and let me borrow an external device to "read" my hard drive. He suggested using FileRescue to recover the info on the crashed drive. FileRescue has a free trial version and a pay version. What's the difference? Should I just bite the bullet and pay for the full version? I'm really just interested in recovering some pictures and excel spreadsheets. Please advise...
Thanks
Ramona

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

It depends on the extent of the hard drive failure. If the system does not recognise the drive you may not be able to recover anything at all.

Typically, the trial version will show you what can be recovered but may not do so or with limited results
Try Recuva its free and pretty good
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Shanomar

Shanomar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

Tried Recuva - it wasn't pulling anything off of the hard-drive. Now what? Am I just SOL??
Thanks.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

You can try booting with a Linux Live CD to see if the drive can be read. (Installation is not necessary).
If so, you may be able to copy off your files to a flash drive.

There are many distros, Ubuntu is popular:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Edited by petewills , 29 June 2010 - 10:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users