Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phalanx

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:50 AM

Does anyone know where a video or animation of a Greek/Roman/Macedonian Phalanx could be found? I've already tried the Yahoo video search and Limewire, but neither of those turned up anything. A gameplay movie from Rome: Total War would work. The phalanx in the demo is kind of lame...

I want this for a school project, if anyone's wondering.

Thanks,
Lanscader

Edited by Lanscader, 15 October 2005 - 12:52 AM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:50 AM

I found many photos, either of contemporary drawings or of military minatures that you could use (people who paint minatures tend to be highly accurate), but no videos that might be better than RTW. You might want to check out, though, some videos here:

http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?act=mods&cat_id=12

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:13 PM

Those were apparently in Rome: Total War format, but I don't have the game. Thanks anyway.

I did find some awesome vids of phalanxes I just searched for Rome total war.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:38 AM

The history channel is airing "rise and fall of the Spartans on Oct 25 maybe you can tape or get the vid. This is part 2. Hope it helps..

http://www.historychannel.com/thcsearch/thc_search.do
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 zeszut

zeszut

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:02 PM

A gameplay movie from Rome: Total War would work. The phalanx in the demo is kind of lame...

Remember that the Romans did NOT use a phalanx - it's a Greek form of warfare. The Romans used "acies triplex" - three lines of soldiers that rotated so that the first line was always fresh. The first episode of the current HBO series ROME has a good example of how it worked - with the centurian blowing a whistle to mark the change of front lines.

So stay away from anything Roman in your search.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:22 PM

Polybius distinguishes the two in his The Histories, Book XVIII, Chapters 28-32:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/polybius-maniple.html

However, he was talking about the later Legion; one may suppose that the early legions (prior the 4th century BCE) included formations composed of the wealthier citizens who could afford the best armor, and which closely resembled the Greek hoplite phalanx. It was from the Greeks, after all, that early Rome learned some of the finer points of war, and to their credit that they soon began to improve upon them.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 19 October 2005 - 09:28 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

The history channel is airing "rise and fall of the Spartans on Oct 25 maybe you can tape or get the vid. This is part 2. Hope it helps..

http://www.historychannel.com/thcsearch/thc_search.do

Sorry about that.. in the search box on this page type phalanx

http://www.historychannel.com/thcsearch/thc_search.do :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for the help, but I'm probably presenting this Friday, and I already found what I need. I did use Rome: Total War stuff, and it is definately not an acies triplex. I think the phalanxes in the game are from the Greek factions or the remnants of Alexander the Great's armies. Either that, or they just got it wrong (which would not suprise me in a video game).

Thanks,
Lanscader

#9 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:59 PM

My husband says they do a good job of showing the Greek phalanx in the movie Alexander the Great. He's a military wargamer and is real picky about how Hollywood shows it and said they did a particulalry good job on the phalanx in that movie.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users