Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I put a password on my pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blue100

blue100

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

Really basic question - i have someone coming to stay in the house for a while and want to keep pc contents (internet accounts & files, folders) - how do i put a password on the pc? Can they then set themselves up for internet access as another user?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

Take a look here: Password Protect Your Computer in Windows XP

To answer your question. If who ever is coming to visit can't even log in, they would have to 'hack your computer' to create an account or bypass the password, in order to use the computer. If that happened I'd be more worried about the home's contents, than a few files. The other option is to move the files you are concerned about to a flash drive and take them with you or secure them elsewhere in the home.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

Make sure the hidden Administrative(accessible from safe mode boot) account is password protected.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Chewy, Excellent addition, I neglected to cover that.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 blue100

blue100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

Many thanks, guys. I was really just looking at putting a password on my user account and keeping access to the files private, so our guest could access a guest account and use the pc without accessing our stuff - figured it out, not that hard, just had to open my eyes! many thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users