Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sp3 meltdown, tips for removing photos, music from unstable system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 publix

publix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

Brief description: Acer Aspire One; 1gb with xp, NTFS 32bit-- System unstable. No blue screen but system lets me (maybe) past user log on, then complete freeze. No error codes. Unable to get into system long enough to do any real trouble shooting. Even at CMD prompt.
Did attempt uninstall of SP3 using cmd prompt, and add/remove. both unsuccessful. Chkdsk in cmd prompt finished with no errors, then froze again.
computer in safe mode also freezes.
Acer comes preloaded so no operating disc, and i used restore points every other day, and data recovery. No back up discs, tho.
I'm assuming it's SP3 because what i've been able to view on system, happened at 3am. I also no longer have the partitioned drive for backup.
System restore points which I attempted to week before didn't resolve problem and now all system restore points are gone.
Looking for either a fix to restore system to former state, or a way to connect hard drive to another computer and access it to pull photos and music. I'm willing to dismantle and pull hard drive from unit to gain access, just want to be sure that i'm not overlooking something software first. Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated. My family misses me, this happened on Tuesday and I've been consumed with this and kinda cranky.

Edited by publix, 27 June 2010 - 12:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

You don't have to "dismantle" the system to remove the hard drive.

Remove it...attach it a different system...move your files (if viewable).

If such are not viewable/accessible...then you may have to try data recovery software.

Louis

#3 publix

publix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

The netbook is so small, to get to the hard drive i would basically be ripping it apart. I was already in there just looking. I guess that's my last recourse. I just want to view the files from another system. If i installed it to another computer, would i set it to slave? I've done this with another computer but i attached it to an external hard drive slot and just used the usb cable. I'm hoping it will work for this one also.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

It doesn't matter...if the drive is connected and has no file system problems...the data files will be accessible.

If the hard drive is a PATA drive...the jumper settings depend on whether it is attached at the end or middle of the cable...as well as the jumper setting used by any other drive on same cable.

Attaching it to the end connector and using the Master jumper setting...should work.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users