Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wifi gaming

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 comet@earth

comet@earth

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

Kindly enumerate the steps to play games using wifi.is it ok if the OS is different in the systems being connected??also i want to know why a computer gets automatically connected to the internet and the solution.

Edited by comet@earth, 27 June 2010 - 12:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:16 AM

cmon guys there must be a network genius here.....Its not just for the sake of gaming but i want to learn these things about networking...suggesting a book will also do.kindly help me.

#3 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:46 AM

Exactly what are you asking here? How to play video games online via wifi? As long as you are connected to the internet and have the game installed you should be able to connect to the servers. Internet is internet if it is wireless or wired, it all goes the same way, just uses different protocols and wireless is slower.

So basically, games..lets take world of warcraft (should be well known). They have servers out there, which the game client you download and install and update (with their patches and such) knows how to connect to. When you are connected to the internet and run WoW, it connects through the internet to their servers and you can play there. If you disable wireless and plug directly into your router, the same will happen.

Hope that helps a little bit
-Scott
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

#4 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

No sir that is not what i meant.i want to play a multiplayer game via wifi,like we can using LAN.For example the game Need For Speed.it can be played by two players at a time.What are the steps to connect the two laptops via wifi without any lag.I have very little knowledge of networking.I presume wifi can be used for sharing files between multiple computers.please correct me if i am wrong.

#5 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

If you are just trying to play a Lan game not a internet game, then you just both need to connect to the router (with wifi or a Ethernet cable) and use each others internal IP address to connect. Joining options should be, Internet or local, choose local then have one host, one join.

If they ask for the IP address to connect do this:

go to Start>>Run>>type in CMD>> then ipconfig /all>> Look for Wireless network connection (something similar)>> find IP address.

It should be either 10.0.0.x or 192.168.x.x (those are the most common that I have seen used). You would then need to enter that IP address into the join game section.

Only game I have found to not work this way was age of empires I. Nothing I did could get it to connect without getting a third party client (gameranger I think) to make a "server" that started the game for me.

Hope that helps some,

-Scott
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

#6 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

1st of all.

With the technology now adays wifi is ok.

But if you really want a very good gaming experience, I would NOT go wireless.

Trust me, I used to support for purple and blue brand, there are too many things to considered in Wifi gaming.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#7 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

scott sir i want to learn networking...kindly help me

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

www.google.com = the absolute BEST tool to start you on your quest. Its amazing what you can find if you type different questions into the little box on that page. But asking someone on this or any forum to teach you networking is a bit extreme.

I'll start you off. You want to connect 2 PCs together wirelessly. A wireless router would be the easiest but search the term Ad-hoc wireless and you'll be amazed.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

well that was rude but atleast u knocked some sense into me

#10 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

Sorry Comet, but CaveDweller is right. Trying to learn networking starting with gaming over WiFi is like learning to fly by jumping off of a barn with a feather in each hand and waving your arms really fast. I teach WiFi classes, and that piece alone is 24 classroom hours, plus 6 hours of lab, makes the student's head hurt, and I assume you know an awful lot about networking before we start. Learning networks is a good thing, but start with a little exploration on how Ethernet works, then TCP/IP, then Bridging and Routing, then look at how games use networking (there are a lot of different techniques for different games), then look at WiFi as a replacement for Ethernet in the picture. This stuff isn't trivial, and not the type of thing you can teach on a board like this very easily. There are some really good presentations on the web, though, and if you have iTunes check out iTunes University, full-on classes online with lots of choices you can run through at your own pace. Or find someone locally that you can intern with. Just spend a little time getting the basics before you jump...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users