Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System looks like it is hijacked....NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:49 AM

I've been battling some virus for the last couple of months and every time I think I've got it cleaned up something new comes up. I've ran MBAM, SAS, F-secure, EOST, and Spybot and they all come pretty much clean. SAS was the only application that kept finding something and it was the secure-us.imrworld.com, but through my research that sounded like a false postive. However when I try to download and run any new AV program on my computer it comes as a binary file. When I go to click on that binary file I get "*.exe is not a valid Win32 application". Well I'm running Windows XP 64-bit (RAID 5 setup) so I found that odd, especially when the tools say they are Win XP 64 compatible. So there is still something controlling my computer.

So I decided to try to figure out the culprit and went into the Safe mode with Networking Admin account. I ran CCleaner, RKill, MBAM, SAS, F-secure, and EOST again. F-secure found a virus called Win32/Malware!Genesis. I thought it had everything cleaned so I decided to change my AV from Avast 4.8 to AVG 9.0 because I honestly don't think Avast was doing anything even though the virus database was constantly being updated. I was able to download the new AVG so I thought I had the problem licked. So off to the install which was going great. The AVG installer saw I had Avast and recommended I uninstall it which I did, but shortly after the AVG install failed. I looked up the error on their site and it said I needed to install a C++ patch, but when I did I got the Admin blocked that install. uh-oh!!! I tried to reload Avast 5.0, but it won't let me do that either. So now I'm out here unprotected. I tried to load again from my personal account but get the same "*.exe is not a valid Win32 application" error. I even tried to install from Admin and my personal account and safe mode and had no luck. I ran a tool called registry mechanic and it found 70 issues with my registries, but I didn't want to buy their software with an unprotected computer and not knowing the company that well so I passed.

So now I'm really stuck and need some professional assistance before I blow Windows XP 64-bit away and install Window 7. Everything I have is backed up using Norton Ghost so if that is the best thing to do then so be it. I'm just worried if I try to reinstall things on my computer once the virus/malware will come with it. I'm reinstalling Avast 4.8 from Ghost right now so hopefully that will work!

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my MBAM log ran from my account:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4246

Windows 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

6/27/2010 11:15:56 AM
mbam-log-2010-06-27 (11-15-56).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 274656
Time elapsed: 46 minute(s), 14 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Here is my Super Anti-Spyware log form my account:
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 06/27/2010 at 11:38 AM

Application Version : 4.39.1002

Core Rules Database Version : 5124
Trace Rules Database Version: 2936

Scan type : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:17:39

Memory items scanned : 585
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 1131
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 9297
File threats detected : 125

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@tacoda[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@content.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@e-2dj6wjnyuhc5ceo.stats.esomniture[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@nextag[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@adinterax[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@tacoda[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@advertising[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Cookies\scott@invitemedia[1].txt
secure-us.imrworldwide.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\UXP3ZZAS ]
.avgtechnologies.112.2o7.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.tribalfusion.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.interclick.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.interclick.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.247realmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.oasn04.247realmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.revsci.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.revsci.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.smartadserver.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.smartadserver.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.bs.serving-sys.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.serving-sys.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.serving-sys.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.imrworldwide.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.imrworldwide.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.kontera.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.tacoda.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.tacoda.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.xiti.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.collective-media.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.at.atwola.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.at.atwola.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.content.yieldmanager.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.oasn04.247realmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.collective-media.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.content.yieldmanager.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.media6degrees.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.media6degrees.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.rambler.ru [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.specificclick.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.specificclick.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.questionmarket.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.questionmarket.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4wzg63dw.default\cookies.sqlite ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@collective-media[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@bs.serving-sys[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@trafficmp[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ad.wsod[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@invitemedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@avgtechnologies.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@revsci[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ads.bleepingcomputer[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@serving-sys[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ads.gmodules[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt
.ads.pointroll.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.pointroll.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.pointroll.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.ads.pointroll.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.richmedia.yahoo.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.questionmarket.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.imrworldwide.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.imrworldwide.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.bs.serving-sys.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.serving-sys.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.serving-sys.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.interclick.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.interclick.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.a1.interclick.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.a1.interclick.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.content.yieldmanager.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.adinterax.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.adinterax.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.questionmarket.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.247realmedia.com [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.avgtechnologies.112.2o7.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.revsci.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]
.revsci.net [ C:\Documents and Settings\Sandy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o40zilx.default\cookies.sqlite ]

Edited by Scott Stoef, 27 June 2010 - 11:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

We are going to a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on. Usually won't on a 64
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Boopme,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunatley I had some major setbacks in my battle against this virus. It must have found a way to root itself deeper into my system and now I can no longer run anything even from safe mode. So insted of messing with this virus any longer I decided to blow my OS away and reinstall with Windows 7. I just cannot risk my data being compromised anymore than it might have been.

I really would have loved to know what it was and how I got it, but what is most important is making sure it is gone and preventing future infestations. Besides that Windows XP 64 was a lousy OS anyhow so I'm not going to lose too much sleep doing this.

Regards

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:56 PM

You're welcome.. Hard to say how excactly as we did not have anything specific. But here's some info...
Why Does My Computer Get Infected With Spyware and Malware?

Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:Avoid gaming sites, pirated software, cracking tools, keygens, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB and other removable drives has become a significant security risk due to the increasing number of malware variants that can infect them and transfer the infection to your computer. To learn more about this risk, please read:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users