Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newly developed freeze during game playing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dragonalumni

dragonalumni

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

First, as a lurker of bleeping computer for several years, especially the file section, I want to offer my thanks for this site.

My problem is this, a machine I've had for a couple of years that has long been used to play all of my delicious games suddenly has a new behavior. Games load up fine and seem to have absolutely no problem and within one or two minutes the system freezes. The screen usually turns blurry acid-like graphics, black or just freezes the screen and I am unable to alt-tab or kill the process, I have to reboot.

It does not seem to affect every game for instance "Doom 3" and "Torchlight" works fine but "Fallout 3" and "Fable" games which require a bit more graphic power freeze up. I have been playing these games without any problem for several months and I have made no updates or changes to my computer that I'm aware of except windows updates.

After this problem developed I've ran anti-virus, cleaned the case and fans and reseated the graphics card. I don't think it's a heat issue because it happens so fast, I also left the case open with a big fan blowing towards the case to test it.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

Graphic card/chip?

Any error messages in Event Viewer that are pertinent to video functions?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Try a different PSU yet?

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

Can you do this: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy?

#4 dragonalumni

dragonalumni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

here is the event viewer log through a freeze cycle-- looks empty,

Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
Information 6/27/2010 11:35:21 PM avg8emc None 1 N/A MYCOMPUTER
Information 6/27/2010 11:35:19 PM SecurityCenter None 1800 N/A MYCOMPUTER
Information 6/27/2010 11:35:16 PM RichVideo None 0 N/A MYCOMPUTER
Information 6/27/2010 11:28:43 PM avg8emc None 1 N/A MYCOMPUTER
Information 6/27/2010 11:28:40 PM SecurityCenter None 1800 N/A MYCOMPUTER
Information 6/27/2010 11:28:38 PM RichVideo None 0 N/A MYCOMPUTER

here is my speccy:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xHWnH1VzDKWW71k9jyi6kxe

nice tools :thumbsup:

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

Are your drivers updated?

#6 dragonalumni

dragonalumni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

I updated my Nvidia / Geforce drivers and tried to launch Fallout3. It crashed a few seconds into play. I checked speccy on a hunch as soon as I rebooted and found my CPU was at 100', while it maintains about 75-80 while just using simple programs. A while back I had problems with an older pc case with over heating but in this situation the computer simply shut down. Is a freeze like behavior also possible with CPU overheating? (freeze with overheat is kinda ironic isn't it?) :thumbsup:

A couple of months ago I bought a new case and PSU, I also have 4 fans. (1 on PSU, 1 on CPU, 1 on the vid card and 1 more for exhaust)

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

I updated my Nvidia / Geforce drivers and tried to launch Fallout3. It crashed a few seconds into play. I checked speccy on a hunch as soon as I rebooted and found my CPU was at 100', while it maintains about 75-80 while just using simple programs. A while back I had problems with an older pc case with over heating but in this situation the computer simply shut down. Is a freeze like behavior also possible with CPU overheating? (freeze with overheat is kinda ironic isn't it?) :thumbsup:

A couple of months ago I bought a new case and PSU, I also have 4 fans. (1 on PSU, 1 on CPU, 1 on the vid card and 1 more for exhaust)

Yes over heating can cause a CPU to be shutdown. It is a good indication that you need to do the following:

1) Clean your CPU Heatsink and Fan

2) Reapply Thermal Paste (recommend Arctic Silver)

3) Test your video card in another PC to mitigate a dying video card.

4) Check your power supply to make sure your power supply meets the minimum requirements for the video card.

After you do this then we can narrow it down to what it was.

#8 dragonalumni

dragonalumni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

I know the CPU overheat can cause a shutdown by failsafe, but is the CPU overheat going to cause a system freeze? My PSU, case and CPU fan was all bought recently and it should be 'quite good' and was working fine before my problems began.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users