Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU running hot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ydayna

ydayna

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

I have an old Sony Vaio desktop. I took the 500 watt power supply out to put into a new computer and replaced it with a new 300 watt power supply. Since then i'm getting a message that the cpu is running hot. I have the same cpu, a pentium 4, that the computer came with. Could my problem be that the power supply does not give out enough watts or the cpu is going bad?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

It's easy enough to put the old PSU back in...and draw your own conclusions, now that you have observed these error messages with the new.

Louis

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

Why would one take a working as it should be 500w power supply out of a working computer and install a 300w maybe power supply in?

#4 ydayna

ydayna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

I replaced the 300w power supply with a 500w power supply and still getting the same message. The cpu is running hot. This is an old computer. 6 years old and has a pentium 4 processor. I'm thinking it is the cpu that is going out on me.

#5 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

More then likey it would be the cooling fan not the CPU itself, or some other problem with the comp. Can you actively check the cpu temp in bios and see what it is running at?
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

try to open your computer case and turn your computer...after POST go to BIOS setting and check does your CPU fan runs smoothly or not???? if runs smoothly try to check your temperature on BIOS...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hello and Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

When you had the computer case open, did you check the CPU heat sink for dust build up?

If there is dust embedded in the fins, this acts like insulation and prevents the heat from escaping from the heat sink and then being discharged into the computer case via the CPU cooling fan.

If you see dust inside the fins, you can remove that by using a can of compressed air to dislodge that dist or lint.

Please be careful not to allow the cooling fans to spin from the force of the compressed air, this can cause the fan to generate a distructive AC current that will be sent back into the motherboard's circuitry.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 July 2010 - 02:15 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

I have an old Sony Vaio desktop. I took the 500 watt power supply out to put into a new computer and replaced it with a new 300 watt power supply. Since then i'm getting a message that the cpu is running hot. I have the same cpu, a pentium 4, that the computer came with. Could my problem be that the power supply does not give out enough watts or the cpu is going bad?

Is it a Pentium 4E? That would be the Prescott core and those run hotter than the core of the sun (figuratively speaking). Download CPU-Z and run it, let us know if it identifies the "code name" as Prescott.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users