Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upload History

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

Without doing any further thinking and reacting to an urge to Chat, . .

I see that there is a download history for the FF browser, . .

my question is if there is an upload history, for FF or for my PC where would it be located, . .

If there isn't one, I am wondering why not, I think it would be useful, especially when you'd like to

know what some mission impossible egotistical hackers, might be up to when your sleeping and

they follow behind an update that has the power to enter your system.

Or, Tell me that can't happen !

http://i48.tinypic.com/69gxud.gif

Edited by Jove, 27 June 2010 - 08:23 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

My way of thinking is that a download history may be much more vital and require more 'bookkeeping than an upload history. Especially since you might need to know the URL, file size, date and time of download in the case of a corrupt or infected file so that you can use that information for troubleshooting. Where as an upload log is less valuable for this sort of data. All the information would be somewhat redundant. Especially if you have a good firewall or router and it collects the 'outbound data' you suggest that might be undertaken with the maliciousness you suggest occurring.

And to answer your question, No Firefox does not have any sort of upload history or log within the browser that I've ever been made aware of. This is not to say someone hasn't made a plug in or add on for Firefox. After all if they make egg timer add ons for Firefox, why not what you suggest?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

For now on I'll try to keep a record of my D/L's, before I clear them as my cleaning software often does.

My, "suggestion", is actually directed toward the context, "that nothing is impossible", especially for, "dirty nerds", I would think that committing the, "perfect crime", and getting a lot of laughs doing it would be to find someone who is utilizing a software that gets updated, then, "pirating", and "smuggling", their spy and theft ware into your system, then having a big-time of it. it would seem to me that an automatic update would be just the thing that would get them past a firewall.

I have yet to learn where the upload information is kept by a firewall.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:14 PM

For now on I'll try to keep a record of my D/L's, before I clear them as my cleaning software often does.

To keep your download History in Ff, there's a couple of settings that have to be set.

Tools / Privacy / History
Put a check next to, Remember download history.
If you have Clear history when Firefox closes checked, click the Settings button next to it, and make sure there is no check next to Download History in the History box.
OK your way out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

I think that is probably my biggest fear, to be assaulted by an intruder while your away, . .

I think that if one can get a software that will allow him to open his computer from a remote

location and sit there in front of it as if he were at his own key board, . . .

sends a premonition of doom through my soul.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

A good firewall and a good A-V program keep things safe. and FF does a virus scan of all downloads you make. As far as uploads go, I do not see a way for a hacker to use information coming from one's computer to break into one's computer. Not saying it's impossible, just don't see it being particularly useful.

Edited by MattV, 28 June 2010 - 09:00 PM.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

I have Firefox set to save no history, to me that is safer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users