Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Television Tuner

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

Just got an external TV tuner for my PC. It works great, and I can change channels using the remote for the cable box. Very nice item, so I thought I would put up a post about it. The tuner is an AVerMedia AVerTV Hybrid Ultra USB tuner. My computer is a P4 2.4 GHz with 3 GB DDR400 RAM memory. The system is using both dual channels (2x1G and 2x512MB) and has a SATA 7200 RPM HD. I would say these are about the bare minimum specs for the program. If I try any major multi-tasking, the PC loses the signal, and I have to replug the machine into the computer. I can still work just not run heavy programs. As a comparison to net video, avi uses about 60-80% of my processor capacity. This product uses only about 20-30%. Any more, and I think there would be a risk of overheating on some machines, but it's gold on mine.

This item can be found on eBay, and the software is a free download from AVer. There is a second optional program for the tuner that is a very cool feature. The program is called SnugTV. Basically, I can use the Snug software to connect to my computer and watch my own cable stations from anywhere in the world over the internet. I can even set the computer to start at a certain time and run the AVerTV program, so that I don't have to leave it on. Very cool thing...I recommend the product for sure if anyone would like to give it a try...Price I paid was $40 delivered...

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2010 - 10:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users