Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Self-adjusting low CPU multiplier?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Sei

Sei

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

So I've been puzzled about many performance issues in games and I was thinking it might be my GPU... but I thought I would take a different angle on it and look at my CPU instead to see if there were any things I could improve there. So I have an AMD PhenomII x4 965 BE, and I was looking around and saw this: Posted Image

So I wondered, well what is mine doing...
Posted Image

I kinda oggled at that for a moment, then figured I would try running a game and watching it. While I have the game running, sometimes the multiplier will go up to 11, 13.5 and even the max 17 at times, but for the most part stays at x4 unless things get really heavy.

I'm no pro at computers, but I would assume having a low multiplier when lots of stuff is going on would be bad, since the CPU would be maxing out it's load resulting in FPS drops (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Now, is there any way I can keep the multiplier up at x17 without it being load dependent?

I've found that if I lock a game process to one or two cores, I can force the multiplier up, but as a side-effect it tends to max out those cores so I can't imagine that this would be a good thing for the CPU.
Like this: Posted Image

Would it possibly have something to do with my mobo settings? This is the one I'm using Mobo Link
It has some options regarding power usage and such, and I thought maybe that would be what's auto-adjusting the core speed (again I assume a lower multiplier uses less energy, so maybe a power-saving feature of the mobo is doing this).

I'm running on Windows 7 Home 64bit and have noticed this with a variety of games (Rappelz, Starcraft 2, simple arcade shooters, etc).
Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

EDIT
So I disabled AMD Cool'n'Quiet and it's made a huge difference. My clocks are up to full and everything's running smoother. My question now is, is there any way to make the CnQ more efficient so that it doesn't cause my games to slow down? I've found a way to turn it on and off by using power profile settings, but if there was some way to manage it without doing that, it would be helpful.

Edited by Sei, 27 June 2010 - 12:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users