Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which antispyware to use?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bomblast

bomblast

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:14 AM

I am currently using AVG 9.0 and malwarebytes in my pc. But when I installed a-squared and scanned I found 5-6 viruses. Avg and mbam don't show anything. Then is it worthy to trust them or should i have a good anti-spyware? If I should then please recommend me a good lightweight freeware antispyware which would be compitible with avg also.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Epix Scene

Epix Scene

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

I am currently using AVG 9.0 and malwarebytes in my pc. But when I installed a-squared and scanned I found 5-6 viruses. Avg and mbam don't show anything. Then is it worthy to trust them or should i have a good anti-spyware? If I should then please recommend me a good lightweight freeware antispyware which would be compitible with avg also.

ok the fact you use AVG scares me. instead Use Avira 10 or Avast!5.0. Or if ur looking for a complete suit with a firewall Use Comodo Internet Security 4.1 Premium.
(all of the above are free)
Malewarebytes is a good on demand scanner. use hitmanpro 3.5 with Malewarebytes its only for 30 days you dont need to scan everyday just 1 a week.

a good free AntiSpyware would be Spyware Blaster. thats what i use its really good. if u get the free version the only thing you dont have is auto-updates. but u can just update it once a week like i do and be fine :D.

i use:

Avast Antivirus
Comodo Firewall
sandboxie
spywareblaster
firefoxe w/ Web of trust,AD+,Taco 3.0

i have not had a virus to this day :D. tho if ur comp is kinda old use Avira Instead Of Avast :thumbsup:.

- Cheers!
Fire Wall: Comodo Firewall
Anti-virus: Avast! 5.0 Free Anti-virus
Web Browser: Fire-Fox w/ WOT,Ab-plus,TACO 3.0
On Demand Scanner: MalwareBytes AntiMalware,Hit-Man Pro 3.5
"i prevent the malware, the other stuff are just my sidekicks" -Epix Scene

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

a-squared products are prone to "false positives" and they even acknowledge this.

...Sometimes security software falsely identifies important crucial system components as a threat (hence the term False Positives - FP).

Removing/deleting critical system files, even temporarily, can make a system crash. Sometimes the system will recover after a reboot, and sometimes it will not. Therefore, you may not be able to start your system. Special system restore measures may be needed, or even a full system re-installation.

...If detections are FP's, you run the risk of rendering your system inoperable...

a-squared HiJackFree: Using security Software to scan data
a-squared Anti-Malware: Using security Software to scan data
a-squared Free: Using security Software to scan data

...the a-squared Scanner looks for files, folders, registry entries and Tracking Cookies that are typically created by Spyware programs. Traces are exactly these trails that Spyware leaves behind.

This approach has both advantages and disadvantages for Malware recognition...The negative side is that it provides a relatively inexact, or insufficiently differentiated to be more precise, Malware recognition. Benign software can be falsely recognized, for example, if it uses the same file name or folder as a dangerous Spyware program.

Software discovered via Traces should therefore first be double-checked to see if it is actually Malware before it is finally deleted...

Spyware Traces in Detail

If you're going to use a-squared products, get a second opinion on suspicious or questionable file detections at Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal.

In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file(s) and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.

If there are multiple file detections, perform an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner.
(Requires free Java Runtime Environment (JRE) be installed before scanning for malware as ActiveX is no longer being used.)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users