Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AV Security Suite problems lead to Safe Mode problems. Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boyfester

boyfester

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:48 AM

I ended up getting the AV Security Suite virus or trojan horse on my old work laptop and so I am writing this message using my PC. I was going through this forum's tutorial on removing the AV Security Suite here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-security-suite

I tried to enter the Safe Mode by pushing F8 on start up but nothing happened and so I took your advice and typed "msconfig" in the Run box and used the System Configuration Utility/BOOT.INI and did the /SAFEBOOT and then restarted. Well this worked great but my problem is that when I put in my usual password, it is incorrect. I have only had two passwords with this computer and neither of them are working. What do I do? The computer keeps opening in Safe Mode.

As for the laptop, it is an old work computer that when the company closed down for good, they gave it to me for free. With that, I was not the Admin. How do I proceed? Do I need to create a floppy boot disk as noted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-floppy-boot-disk-in-windows/

The computer does not have a floppy drive.

Fester :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:07 AM

Hi Fester,

Unfortunately we cannot help you getting around a password. See also the board rules

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

I certainly see your problem, but the only thing I can suggest you, is contacting the company and obtaining the password or accessing your own non-administrator account.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 boyfester

boyfester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

Hi Fester,

Unfortunately we cannot help you getting around a password. See also the board rules

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

I certainly see your problem, but the only thing I can suggest you, is contacting the company and obtaining the password or accessing your own non-administrator account.

I contacted the Admin from my old company to see if they can help me. If a password is not available, am I stuck with reformatting the computer? I'm not worried as there is nothing of value on it.

Also, how is my request trying to defeat copyright or security measures? I'm just trying to get rid of AV Security Suite which was not originally part of the computers' programs.

Thanks!

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:48 AM

Hi again,

While I am convinced your intentions are not bad here, circumventing a password, is still circumventing a password. If you are able to log into normal mode, it means you ahve a useraccount that you have access to. You can try to use that when logging on into safe mode.

I certainly see your problem and indeed we are here to help you. If you wish, I can help you remove the forced safe mode boot. This will require an XP CD. Please let me know if you have one at hand.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users