Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running very slow all of a sudden

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 a2rudeboy

a2rudeboy

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:43 AM

I'm using Windows 7, and the latest version of firefox.

Problem: Recently (in the past 2-3 days) I have noticed my computer running abnormally slow. Video sites such as youtube.com or megavideo are running choppy even when the video has been fully loaded. Sometimes, when i click to switch from one window to another the other window wont maximize for a minute or so, or it comes up on a blank screen until the page reloads. Similar things happen when i try and minimize or exit out of a window.

Solutions tried: Ran disk cleanup and got rid of everything, defrag hard drive, run spybot search and destroy (no results), restart computer, reset modem (i dont believe this is the issue, another computer in the house is running just fine)

ANy help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:50 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

This sounds like a good time for summer cleaning....the inside of the computer that is.

A slow system can be contributed to things getting a tad too warm and the system will start to slow down a bit over time and eventually will cause crashes.

Disconnect the power supply and open the computer and clean out any dust you find inside that case, be safe, if you touch anything inside make sure your grounded to the computer case while your touching anything inside.

Purchasing a can of compressed air is great for blowing dust out of hard to reach places, just do not let the fans spin from the force of the air, use a pencil to stop from spinning and you might want to try putting a new bead of thermal paste/grease between the processor and heat sink while you're at it.

Once you do that, you might find things will have a tendency to speed back up again.

Kind regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 June 2010 - 12:52 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 a2rudeboy

a2rudeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:07 AM

Sorry- I should have been more clear.

It's a laptop, and only about 6 months old.

It just seems a little random that it would decrease in speed this dramatically over the course of about 2 days

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

I will repeat my self, its time for a summer cleaning.

Laptops are specially prone to dust problems, because they endure more enviromental dust than a desktop.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ProdigalSin

ProdigalSin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

rudeboy, did you find a solution to this problem, I'm having the exact same issue right now. :huh:

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

ProdigalSin, what have you tried to 'fix' the situation?
Have you run CHKDSK ?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

As you posted Recently (in the past 2-3 days). The first thing that comes to mind is what have you done in the last 2-3 days. Have you change settings on your system? Have you down loaded things or have you updated things in these 2-3 days? Have you run any security scans? Yes a bad download, update or a virus,spyware,malware can cause this right now in a heart beat. Oh by the way over heating can cause this problem as MrBruce1959 has mentioned.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

I don't see where you scanned for malware.

Spybot S&D is fine for light spyware/adware...but it's not the sole tool that any system should rely on.

I think that merits consideration, since malware is known to possibly slow the system down.

Louis

#9 MichaelB51026

MichaelB51026

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:23 AM

aha, seems my Chrome browser goes fast. why not trying?
God helps those who help themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users