Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The file wuauclt.exe is infected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eddie4872

eddie4872

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

I am getting this pop up that says The file wuauclt.exe is infected. i can not open anything or fixes. when I hit f8 on my computer there is no safe mode. can someone please help. i can not do anything on my computer. i tried to open fixes from other postings from google and after saving it to a USB drive and putting it on the affected computer. the affected computer allows me to do nothing.

please please help.

Edited by eddie4872, 26 June 2010 - 09:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:53 PM

Hello,
Ah, yes ... I've seen this before. First of all, which Av program is telling you that this process is infected? What has been happening to you prior to the occurrence of the prompt? Anything noticeable? What operating system are you using? You could try using the SFC /scannow utility, also called system file checker, and see if that file can be replaced. There is an article here on this site on how to use it. I can't give you the direct link at the moment, but you could search for it in the tutorials section. The lack of ability to boot into safe mode is caused by the deletion of the registry entry that allows the system to perform that task. The good news is that this entry can be restored. Try going to another computer and searching google or bing for it. It'll come up as a .reg file, and then when downloaded, you can right-click on it and say merge with the registry. You'll be asked for confirmation. let it through. Hope this helps.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users