Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 katiecalf

katiecalf

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

I have a Gateway desk computer with the Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset which I am thinking is an integrated video card? I came home this afternoon and the computer was sitting waiting for whether is should start in safe mode . When I left the screen saver was going fine. I told it yes and it came up normal in safe mode. I then tried doing a normal start and this is what happened. The video eventually comes on but when the computer is booting up there are blue thin pixel lines about 3/4 way down and to the right of the black screen going from left to right then just hangs sometimes with white blocks across the very top of screen. after a while I hit the Auto button on the side of the monitor several times and the display comes on fine.I checked device manage and sure enough there is a yellow exclamation next to the Intel g33/g31 display adapter I downloaded and installed the latest drivers and still have the yellow exclamation .The computer is still under warranty but dealing with Gateway is like talking to the wall in my office. first the tech wanted me to send in the display then he wanted me to send in the tower. Don't think he had a clue. Not worth shipping back even though under warranty but my question is? Can I disable it and just put in another video card or because it is part of the motherboard I wouldn't be able to do that?
Or is there anything else I can try. The screen saver also works once the computer is finally to the desktop,so I am lost and I know I don't know enough about video cards.
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer! :thumbsup:

I read your complaint and see you mentioned your witnessing a exclamation mark in your Device Manager.

This is telling you you are missing a device driver to make this peripheral function properly, it is most likely not the monitor that is the problem so I am not sure why messing with the monitor seems to make a change.

I realize you have a Gateway brand computer, what would help me better help you troble shoot this computer is for me to know the computers Gateway model number.

Also if your video processor is on-board, just the fact that you have an exclamation mark is proof that your are missing the proper driver for it to function properly, that's the fisrt thing we need to locate is the corrrect driver, apparently, you're not attempting to install the correct one, other-wise it would function and the exclamtion mark would disappear.

I will await your next reply with the computers model number.

Kind regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 katiecalf

katiecalf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

yes that was the error code I am getting next to the exclamation that it is driver issue

the Computer is a Gateway DX442S
Intel Dual Processor
Vista Home Premum (32 bit) all updates installed
Memory 3072 DDR2 SDRAM

this is error I am getting in Device Manager

Description:
Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 43.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode
Architecture: x86
Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C2&SUBSYS_5044107B&REV_02
Setup class GUID: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
PnP problem code: 0000002B
Driver name: igdkmd32.sys
Driver version: 7.14.10.1364
Driver date: 10-31-2007
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

you are also right about the monitor as if you boot it up it goes through the lines etc and then comes to desktop I must have just been hitting that button when it came up the first time. I know it is running on generic drivers as it will not give me the option for my display's screen resolution to be selected. My monitor is a Widescreen 1440 X 900 and it will only let me set it to 1024 X 768 which makes for fuzzy like viewing

Oh one other thing I had gone to Intel's site and downloaded the latest driver for the g31/g33 but it didn't do anything and still had the exclamation
the tech I originally spoke to had me uninstall the display adapter also . Although when it rebooted it came back up with it and with the yellow exclamation too!
I now have it back to Gateway's driver from my support page as it was originally when the started.

thanks!!
Linda
Locale ID: 1033

Edited by katiecalf, 27 June 2010 - 01:32 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

Okay I checked out the results for code 43 at Microsoft's web site the results are below.
Code 43
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
Recommended resolution

One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner.

If you have already run the Troubleshooting Wizard, you might want to check the hardware documentation for more information about diagnosing the problem.

My suggestion to you in this case is to replace the video card.

With the cheap price in video cards these days, it will provide you with a problem free card with problem free drivers.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 katiecalf

katiecalf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

MrBruce, if this is an integrated video card on the motherboard can it just be uninstalled and add a new video card into one of the other open slots or do I have to send it back to Gateway for a new motherboard with a working video card? As you said video cards are very inexpensive and much easier then having to send the tower back to Gateway and being without it for min 2 weeks
thanks

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

According to the specs you should have a free PCI Express 16 slot for a graphics card.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users