Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD PLEASE HELP!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 mudcat24

mudcat24

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

Hi, my computer has been suffering from continuous BDOD's. It started 2 days ago. I ran Spybot and then Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it detected some viruses so I restarted it to get rid of the viruses and was deciding on going into safe mode to clean my computer entirely.

Unfortunately, when i was headed into safe mode I got the BSOD! It said PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. From what I've found that's suppose to be something wrong with my memory? I don't know you tell me.

Anyway I tried everything. START NORMALLY, LAST KNOWN CONFIGURATION, SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. Nothing. I kept getting the BSOD, some saying different things like: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

I probably turned it off and on about 10 times and somehow got through and the computer was working fine. To avoid getting another BSOD without turning the computer off I tried putting the computer on Stand By. Next day I turned it on and everything was fine, but after a while I started getting "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" error until I couldn't open any program not even Task Manager, so I turned off the computer and now I'm here.

Could I have some sort of virus or do those BSOD messages show that I definitely have something wrong with my memory?

Here are my system specs:
ACER ASPIRE 5100 LAPTOP
AMD Turion 64
ATI Raedon Xpress 1100
RAM 1GB
HARD DRIVE 80GB
Windows XP Service Pack 2
Windows XP Media Center Edition

**I'm not sure how many GHz. Does that matter?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:37 PM

I guess that I'm confused...does the system boot into XP normally or via safe mode...right now?

Louis

#3 mudcat24

mudcat24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

I haven't been able to boot into Safe Mode at all and the only way I've gotten it to boot normally is by turning it off and on about 10 times and I just get lucky and it boots

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

So you are in XP right now?

I guess I wasn't clear enough, but I want to know if you can boot into XP today, not what happened yesterday or three hours ago smile.gif.

Louis

#5 mudcat24

mudcat24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

No I'm using another computer right now.

The only way I can get it to boot into XP is if I turn it off and on about 10 times and I just get lucky.

Sorry for not being so clear.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:03 PM

There are many reasons why you may not be able to access safe mode...and many of them have nothing to do with malware, since the system can boot into XP normally.

In order to do any troubleshooting...you are going to have to use the troubled system...and boot into XP.

Louis

#7 mudcat24

mudcat24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

Okay, so you want me to try and boot into XP and then there I will be able to fix the problem that I'm having? Or just the problem of not being able to boot into Safe Mode?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

One step at a time...let's see if we can get into XP first.

If we can get in...then I'd like to see some of the data (saved on the system) about your BSOD errors.

Louis

#9 mudcat24

mudcat24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

Okay I'll try.

And are you talking about using bluescreenview.exe? Because I tried it the last time I was able to boot into XP and I followed these directions which I just found are from you lol

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

But it never scanned anything. I ran the .exe and nothing

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

If a user gets BSOD screens that are readable...there's something on that system that provides clues to what the problems are.

IMO, it seems as if you think that there is some magical fix...that can be applied to your system...without turning it on and booting and doing some investigative work.

I don't think there is such, not that I know of.

If you don't want to try to find out what is wrong...that's your option. But...as I sit here and look at the title of this thread...I think you should try to do more to find out just what the problems (note I said "problems") might be.

BlueScreenView is one of the tools which can be useful, it is not the only tool available for troubleshooting BSODs.

Louis

#11 mudcat24

mudcat24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

Sorry that it came across as if I wanted some magical fix for my computer.

I guess I was just waiting for an answer from you that would require me to run a memtest or boot from ultimate boot cd to find out what the problem is, since I've been doing some searching and it seems to me that I have something wrong with my memory.

However, I am no computer genius...I would like to be one someday, but I'm pretty sure you are more knowledgeable than me about this and appreciate your help so I will go ahead and try to boot into XP and whatever else you say may help me.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

Let's get on with it, then smile.gif.

I could do any number of random things...I could say "replace your PSU and see if it boots" or "let's test your hard drive" or "let's run memtest86" or any number of other things that may eventually come to pass.

Being the person that I am...I like to look at the existing evidence, wherever it might lie...before I start throwing out my "well, it sounds like..." statements. The existing evidence is on that system, in some form...whether it be .dmp files, Event Viewer, Device Manager, etc.

Louis

#13 mudcat24

mudcat24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

Alright I understand.

Well I've tried to get it to boot like 20 times, but to no avail.

I think we're gonna have to try this again tomorrow. Seemed to work for me last time.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

Considering that this system is a laptop...if you cannot boot it at all, I would expect that the best results could be obtained by taking it to a shop and having someone look at it (hands-on).

A search of the Web indicates many negative reviews of this particular laptop, which is probably normal (satisfied users don't feel the need to complain)...but the age of the laptop suggests to me that it may have seen its best days.

Does the system exhibit any sign of life? What exactly happens when you press the power button?

Louis

#15 mudcat24

mudcat24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Well looks like I ran out of luck. I can't get the laptop to boot sad.gif

Is there anything else I can try before taking it to someone?

And it seems to have life. It turns on fine and is able to get to the Windows boot logo screen and the bar under the logo is able to move halfway until it is stopped by the BSOD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users