Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FPS Problem Worries Me

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

So i mainly play two games; Guildwars and Modern Warfare 2. While i was playing guildwars i all of a sudden my FPS dropped drastically at one point FRAPS said it was actually 0. After that it ran from anywhere between 5 and 25. I got a little worried, so i stopped the game. (I had been playing for around an hour-and-a-half). A couple hours later i decided to get back on, and i encountered the same problem. Only this time it happened much quicker. I decided to run Modern Warfare 2 to see if it was just Guild Wars. Being that Modern Warfare 2 is more graphics intensive i only had 5 FPS at the main menu screen. I decided to run the windows function that tests your computers performance and gives you a rating. Before i ran it it said "Gaming Graphics -- 5.8" and after i ran it, the gaming graphics had the same score. So I'm pretty sure that the on-board graphics aren't being used. After that i decided to restart the PC and so far no problems. I opened up Modern Warfare 2 and played a match and had a good FPS from what i could tell. For after i restarted I didn't open up FRAPS. Now I'm hoping that FRAPS or something else easy to fix is the issue. Its just that I've never had a problem like this before. I have windows update run daily and it checks for driver updates for me, so I'm sure that my drivers are up-to-date. I'm hoping that my graphics card isn't going out on me. Thanks for any help given.

Specs:
IntelŪ PentiumŪ D CPU 2.80 Ghz (It's dual core)
2.00 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO
Name of Computer: E-Machines T5224

EDIT: I tried Modern Warfare 2 again with and without FRAPS. With FRAPS i didnt even complete one round before the problem struck again, yet without FRAPS running i played two whole rounds quite smoothly. Why all of a sudden FRAPS is a problem i don't know, but it seems to be the issue. However if anyone else has some input to the situation I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Edited by Bassplayer15, 26 June 2010 - 08:12 PM.

Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

somethings most likely hogging your system resources, when was the last time you ran a good anti virus like malwarebytes or AVAST?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

I run AVG Free every night at 22:00, i update it almost everyday. For some odd reason i assume that FRAPS is all of a sudden hogging up my resources. (By the way FRAPS is a program that puts my FPS in a corner of the screen and allows me to take screen-shots and video.)

#4 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

When was the last time you aired out your computer? This was a problem I had for 9 months before I realized that dust was clogging the video card fan, causing it to overheat and underclock itself to stay functional

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

Im familiar with fraps, I use it all the time. Have you disabled fraps to find out if its doing it? along those lines, fraps has a recording feature, that uses a keyboard shortcut to start it, and it limits the games to a MAX of 30fps during record and lasts about 30 seconds, is it possible the keyboard shortcut for the record feature is the same as one of the keys you use a lot in game or one that you can press on accident repeatedly?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

Ditto on low system resources. I found out playing Crysis that my 2gig of RAM was insufficient, and my hard drive started thashing away during the game, effectively killing performance. Keep an eye on your hard drive light during the slowdowns. How many processes do you have running when the computer is idle? What is CPU usage? Fraps might be the straw that broke the camel's back when it runs during games.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

When i disabled FRAPS i never encountered the problem again, it's just a bit confusing since i had been using FRAPS for a while now and never had the problem. I clean the inside of my PC every couple months, i think that last time i did was 1 month ago. I have recording set to F11 so i do not think that is the issue. During MW2 I'm pretty sure my CPU almost Maxes out, though i haven't watched it in a long time. Thanks for all the help

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

malware can hog up system resources as well, it may be time to run a different anti malware program, so can any apps you have idling in the background (like MSN)

picard5.jpg

#9 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

I generally run AVG free, and occasionally run Windows Defender. The two apps that run in the background that aren't necessarily necessary are Steam and the Ideazon Z Engine i use for my keyboard, everything else i believe is important, maybe a few things that aren't. Would you mind suggesting a different anti-malware program for me to use?

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

I would actually turn Steam off when playing a non steam game, that can be a system resource. Ive never had an issue with AVG on my system, but its a faster machine then what you got, but it seems to be pretty low profile. The one thing I like to do though is keep the auto update off personally, because if its off they dont run-but if its on auto any time your online its online looking for updates and downloading them. The downside to that however, is if you dont remember to manually update your anti virus, it can leave you vulnerable. You can try avast to, if you really like firewalls, I use Comodo it doesnt use many resources and is still very powerful, though comodos anti virus is lousy, I would just use their firewall in combination with AVG or Avast.

picard5.jpg

#11 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the help, since i disabled FRAPS and it stopped the problem i might just try reinstalling it, or try it sometime again today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users