Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

graphic cards - gtx470 vs. fx3800

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nespina

nespina

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

which one is better for 3d modelling? as far as i've read on the internet (and i'm very far from being an expert), gtx has better hardware, but fx has drivers which more than compensate for it. since the difference in their prices is significant, i'd be very thankful for your opinions and advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

The Quadro FX line of cards are designed for workstations with 3D modeling whose requirements are based more on precision rather than performance. This is the main difference between workstation and gaming GPU's, pixel perfect precision versus speed. If your 3D modeling is more of a hobby rather than a business requirement, a consumer card will work, but for business, a Quadro or FireGL card would be better. If the GPU you want is based off a consumer-level product within a given series, for instance, GeForce GTX 280 and Quadro FX 4800 are both a GT200 card, the difference between the cards are mainly the BIOS and driver sets with minimal hardware differences. Applications which specifically use workstation software, such as Maya or 3D Studio Max, gain a significant advantage with performance using workstation GPU's. Conversely, those workstation GPU's aren't good for gaming where speed outweighs precision. I haven't seen any reviews comparing those two cards since most people don't have have need for a workstation card which performs slower, in games, but has a much higher price.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users