Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jaysidhu

jaysidhu

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

Hi, I'm running Windows XP and my 250GB internal hard drive (slave) crashed. If I try to access it, a message saying, "format this disk now (y/n)". It also says that the file system is RAW. Are there any options to recover my data from the disk?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer! :thumbsup:

Yes there is a way to access the data, you would have to use a linux live cd to which you would boot to, its like an OS of its own that runs right off the cdrom or dvdrom disk, you will have to go to this web site (listed below) download the ISO Image file and burn it to a disk and boot from it, the good news is the web site has plenty of documentation on how to do the proceedure and the unix/linux section of the BC forums has tutorials and help on how to do this properly.

Once you boot from the livecd you will be able to access the files on the hard drive and save them to another media.

Here is the UBUNTU LIVECD web page to obtain your ISO image, use a free program like imgburn or CDburnerXP to burn the ISO image to a disk, all inks provided below.

Good luck. :flowers:

UBUNTU LIVECD https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

IMGBURN http://www.imgburn.com/

CDBURNERXP http://cdburnerxp.se/
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 jaysidhu

jaysidhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Can you please give more detailed instructions because I can't figure out how to even burn the CD correctly.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:27 AM

quick question...
do you use 2 hardrive or 2 partition???

try to use chkdsk /f /r and see what happen...something this work and sometimes doesnt work...but it worth to try...
click start menu - Run...type cmd... type chkdsk /f /r e: (e: refers to the partition that you want to scan...if not e please change it)...if asking something press y (yes)...if ask to reboot...please reboot and do not press any key until scandisk process began...

about how to burn or detailed instruction...
please read UBUNTU LIVECD that bruce give you...
its have detailed instruction...but I think you forgoting about the link inside it...please read the link (the red tet/hyperlink text) also to learning something about live cd...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users