Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen at startup can't load Windows. Video card Prob?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stang16041

Stang16041

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

It all started a few days before when I got a call from my girlfriend saying that she turned my laptop on and it had three columns of grey lines. Windows would not load at that time. By the time I came home from work I turned it on and it worked fine. The next evening I tried to start it up and I got a blank screen (no curser or blinking line). The screen doesn't look completely turned off because it has what looks like a backlight on.

I plugged the laptop into my TV just incase it is my monitor giving me the probs. I was able to see the the startup screen and windows logo. But, the picture quality looked like safemode quality but worse. The screen also had small grey lines running through it. I could probably take a picture of my TV to show you this.

Once the computer reaches the windows logo it sits for a few seconds then the computer turns off or restarts. I figured it isn't a software issue and my guess would be that it might be the video card.

I have an HP Pavillion dv 9000

Thanks
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer! :thumbsup:

Did anyone by any chance run any cleaning programs recently?

Before I would start thinking video processor failure, I would look to see if a video driver became deleted or corrupted, or if someone changed the settings for the screen resolution.

Another thing to look into is if this laptop has accumulated any dust or lint and is causing a component to reach an unsafe temperature level.

If you can see the screen and enter device manager, see if the video adapter's drivers are still installed.

You may also have a problem with a switch in the hinge of the laptop, this can fail over time do to repeated open and closing of the screen/cover. (But in this case is unlikely, read below)

Lastly since you said you used an external screen and see video artifacts, this would indicate a problem with your video processor inside the laptop, not the laptop screen.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 12:10 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Stang16041

Stang16041
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

I did not think about a dirty laptop. I will do a little cleaning.
If this doesn't work and I try to reload some video drivers. How could I do so if I am unable to startup the computer. I do have the ability to take out the hard drive and plug it into another computer to analize. Thank you for your help so far.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

I did not think about a dirty laptop. I will do a little cleaning.
If this doesn't work and I try to reload some video drivers. How could I do so if I am unable to startup the computer. I do have the ability to take out the hard drive and plug it into another computer to analize. Thank you for your help so far.

You're welcome, it is something I enjoy doing for sure. :thumbsup:
You could try starting the computer and try holding down the F8 key, this will cause Windows to load in SAFE MODE which runs windows with limited device drivers, therefore if you have a driver conflict, that driver won't be loaded and windows will load with 800x600 pixels and 16 standard colors.

I will not send you into your BIOS setup utility until that suggestion fails to execute a boot into Windows, but I when you post back whether or not safe mode worked or not, I may give you instructions on how to enter the BIOS and change some settings.

Keep us posted.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Stang16041

Stang16041
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

I was able to log on under Administrator. I still cannot see anything in my monitor so i had to hook up the laptop to my TV again.
I went into display properties and the screen res is locked on 640x480 and Color quality is lowest (4 bit).
Also my startup screen says the following

System RAM Passed
Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS Shadowed
Video BIOS Shadowed

I will patiently be waiting for my next step.

Edited by Stang16041, 27 June 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:31 AM

Is it possible to access device manager and see if your missing a driver?

I realize we are talking about a laptop here, but if your drivers are updated and not showing any problems in device manager you could be looking at a on-board video processor failure.

But I would check Device manager first for either a red X or an exclamation mark.

If you see an exclamation mark, you need to update your video driver.

If this is not the case, last thing that can be tried is accessing the BIOS of your laptop and seeing what the video processor settings are in the menus.

But again, you may have a faulty video processor, which will have to be replaced.

#7 Stang16041

Stang16041
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

MrBruce,
I turned my laptop on today and it powered up just fine. Kind of Weird. I am guessing that I will see this problem again.
I checked the Device manager and did not see any red "X" or "!". The Graphics card is an NVIDIA GoForce 7600.

Her is the driver information
Device Status: The device is working properly
Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Date: 7/20/2006
Driver Version 8.6.0.2
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows hardware Compatibility publisher

By the computer turning on properly for no apparent reason could we eliminate another possibility? If the driver was messed up would it start working again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users