Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my computer too old?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 rramsay

rramsay

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:28 AM

I have an aopen p3 computer that is ten years old, I've tried installing Ubuntu 10.4 several times and it won't take.

I've burned the cd's, bought a commercial version, tried to use wubi that won't work either, I bought a blank hard drive installed it and tried to load Ubuntu, no dice.

I did some work on two of my brother's computers and out of curiosity I slipped in the Ubuntu disc and they worked like a charm.

There are three things I could do 1. Buy a new computer. 2. Upgrade my mother board to a p4, or find an older version to use.
So, my question is which version should I try? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Option 4 -- try a different distro (unless you're tied to Ubuntu for some reason).

We just got wattOS running on my daughter's 10 year old Compaq Presario. It runs well, includes Abiword word processor and Gnumeric spreadsheet, and was pretty trouble free to test and install.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

I have found that OpenSuSe runs very well on older P3 systems, I used to run one myself, I would try that. If the latest release wont do it, use an earlier version.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 princess_sophia

princess_sophia

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Xubuntu is geared more towards older computers.
Welcome to McMalwareCrushers! Would you like to try our ultimate destruction combo for the low low price of FREE?

Over 00000000 satisfied customers!

"If there's a will, there's a way, if not then there is always linux".
"You are never too old to be a kid again".

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

Can you provide us with some of the specs of the computer like the CPU, RAM, Motherboard, and stuff like that?

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on 2 P3 systems that I have and it works fine on both of them. Post the specs for your system please.

What happens when you try the install? Does the system hang or do you get an error message?

Edited by strolln, 27 June 2010 - 09:16 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#7 rramsay

rramsay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

I get the purple Ubuntu screen, the clock bar works for a while like it's going to load, then I get a black screen with a busy box message. After that everything comes to a dead stop. I think it's time to retire this old warhorse and go with something younger. Thanks.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

Does a Ubuntu LiveCD run on the P3?

#9 pcgeekguru

pcgeekguru

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:32 AM

damn small linux is a good distro for old computers. it uses very minimal disk space and only uses 50 mb of ram. the only problem is that you would have to have a tech install it because the setup is in dos or what they call terminal mode in linux language.

Edited by pcgeekguru, 24 July 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#10 Senlis

Senlis

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:46 AM

I'll back up what princess_sophia said and suggest XUbuntu first. It is an easier solution for older computers, and it that doesn't work for you then try OpenSuse and damn small linux.

#11 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

Xubuntu worked great on an old P3 computer of my friends.... I love it personally. On my powerhouse (more like power hungry house) I run it to make all my apps like uber fast.

#12 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

I would second the motion on Xubuntu also...

#13 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

I have an aopen p3 computer that is ten years old, I've tried installing Ubuntu 10.4 several times and it won't take.

I've burned the cd's, bought a commercial version, tried to use wubi that won't work either, I bought a blank hard drive installed it and tried to load Ubuntu, no dice.

I did some work on two of my brother's computers and out of curiosity I slipped in the Ubuntu disc and they worked like a charm.

There are three things I could do 1. Buy a new computer. 2. Upgrade my mother board to a p4, or find an older version to use.
So, my question is which version should I try? Thanks.

Have you tried Linux Mint?

#14 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

I really think you should give Xubuntu a try.

P3 isn't too bad. I have an old HP notebook running off a 1Ghz P3 proccy and 256mb of RAM. And guess what? It's runs Win XP SP3.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 August 2010 - 06:53 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#15 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

Windows XP SP3 can run on a Pentium 233 with 64MB RAM (source). A 1GHz Pentium III with 256MB RAM is overkill. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users