Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not enough

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wonder1

Wonder1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

I have one particular document that I can not open. The file was created by me using Win7 & MS Office 2003. When I try to open the file I get the message "There is not enough memory or disk space to complete the operation". I have 6GB Ram & 865 MB hard disk space so I know this message can't be right. Has anybody else experienced this problem? If so what is the work around? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Wonder1, 26 June 2010 - 11:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

What is the size of the file you are trying to open in MS office? Are you trying to open it in microsoft word? if not which program of office are you trying to open the file in?

I realize you have 6 Gb of memory but unless you are using 64 Bit version of Win 7 your only using 4 Gb of that 6 Gb.

860 Mb is not a lot of space left if you really think about it. IMO
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Wonder1

Wonder1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

The file I am trying to open is a rather large file 1.96Mb. I seem to have "mis-spoken" the size of the hard drive as it is 865 GB remaining on a 1 TB drive. I am trying to open it with MS Word 2003. I am running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit operating system. I hope this helps.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

the file is on the same machine you are trying to open it on ? sometimes you see this error if trying to open from a network drive.

issue with large graphics http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177756

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

the file is on the same machine you are trying to open it on ? sometimes you see this error if trying to open from a network drive.

Good find there CaperDog! :huh:

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Wonder1

Wonder1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

Good find there CaperDog! :huh:

This is very good information, but it seems to be written for a Macintosh & I have a PC. Thanks anyway

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:42 AM

I do not have office 2003, but did you see if it will work just the same?

I've opened some pretty big files using the newly released MS Office 2010 version of Word, I know there was a Beta version of it available, but sense its been a release candidate I am not sure it is still available anymore.

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

sorry about the mac link. this is what microsoft says about 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813997/

if other docs open then winword.exe is not corrupt
will this doc opens on another machine to prove it is not corrupt.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Does this document contain any special formatting that maybe Office 2007 or Office 2010 cannot handle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users