Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frame Redirection...maybe?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ross TPO

Ross TPO

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

Hey,

Im wondering if anyone can help me with this problem.

I have some webspace and domain names registered at Strato (a German webhosting company). I am trying to redirect one of my domain names to my bands myspace but when I do this, it is redirecting to the German version of myspace - presumably because of the German IP address on the redirect?

A friend suggested doing a frame set redirection. Would this work? And how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Andrew, 27 June 2010 - 01:31 AM.
Mod Edit: Moved to more appropraite forum - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

How are you redirecting it presently? There are many ways to redirect it. One way to redirect(?) using frameset is this way :

Create a dummy file dummy.html with this content :
<html>
	<frameset rows="*">
		<frame src="http://www.myspace.com/">
	</frameset>
</html>

Now when somebody accesses this file on your site (like hxxp://www.dummysite.com/dummy.html), then he would be redirected to myspace.com. The address in the location bar of the browser would be still shown as your site address. Actually, this is not a real redirection and just opening another site in your site's frames.

Edited by Romeo29, 27 June 2010 - 11:26 PM.

#3 Ross TPO

Ross TPO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me. You'll have to bear with me because my computer skills are very limited.

At present, the site is being redirected using Strato's built in redirection facility. All I do is click "external site" and redirect it to www.uk.myspace.com/... and that takes the person to our myspace when they type in our .co.uk website URL.

So if I create a webpage using Frontpage with the code you supplied and upload it to my webspace. Then redirect the .co.uk URL to the internal page "dummy.html" it will just load up our myspace but in English instead of German?

Sorry, Ive probably make that sound more complicated than it actually is.

Thanks again, hopefully Ive caught on to what you are saying.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

Are you trying to redirect whole domain like when someone types www.dummy.com and they would be taken to myspace? Or are you trying to redirect a page, like when someone visit a specific page on your site, they are taken to myspace?

In first case just, choose the name of page index.html and upload it to root folder of your web domain. In second case, choose a different name :thumbsup:

You do not have to do it in Frontpage, Notepad works well.

BTW it is http://uk.myspace.com/ no www there.

#5 Ross TPO

Ross TPO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

My bands myspace is www.myspace.com/band but to go to the UK only site, you would type uk.myspace.com/band - I used this URL to try and get round the German IP address.

Our website is www.band.co.uk which redirects to the myspace but it goes to the German version of the site - so the text is in German.

It sounds like I need to use the first method you described but should I use the UK myspace URL?

#6 Ross TPO

Ross TPO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

IT WORKS!!!

Seriously, thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

GENIUS!!! LEGEND!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users