Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP takes forever to boot despite my specs!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:29 AM

I own a hand-me-down Clevo/Sager compact desktop (D900T/D9T to be specific) that I got about two years ago. Here are its specs:

Windows XP Pro SP3
3.2 GHz Pentium 4 Hyper-Threading
3 GB DDR2-533 SDRAM
256 MB ATi Mobility Radeon X800
Intergrated Surround Sound
74 GB Hard Drive

Ever since I got it, the PC loads Windows XP at a snail's pace, with a minimum of 20 "passes" on the progress bar. Afterwards, it hangs on a black screen for a minute or two, and THEN proceeds to the "Log On" screen. All in all, the bootup process from turning on to Log On take 3-5 minutes usually. In comparision, my Dell Dimension 4400 from 2001, with a 1.6 GHz P4 and 640 MB of RAM, blazes through XP boot-up, with only 8-12 "passes" on the progress bar and no hang-ups afterwards.

I keep my start-up programs in check with msconfig, and even after disabling the program which I suspected was bogging down my PC overall (an old version of Symantec AntiVirus, w/ all tricks turned on), the problem continued the same. I at most have 27-34 programs running on start-up, only essential stuff too. Often scan for malware and viruses too, things are spic-and-span so far.

That's not my only XP-related issue however. When using Disk Defragmenter, it's as if I were trying to access it with a circa-1995 PC, as it slooooowly comes up on screen, analyzes and defragments, even when there's little to defragment on the HDD. Again, not an issue with my comparitively ancient Dimension 4400.

I JUST bought 2GB of RAM to see if it'll speed up my PC, but I'm seeing very little improvement so far which is ridiculous. I'm wondering if:

- My XP installation is corrupted/old.........it was attacked by nasty viruses over a year ago, which I got rid of thanks to BleepingComputer :thumbsup: . I haven't re-installed since then though. This PC dates from Spring 2005, and it's installation has been up since June 2005, so I'm assuming that this is it's first installation. Unfortunately, re-installing is a pain on this PC because it requires an external floppy to load the SATA drivers during installation........either that or slipstreaming them to a custom XP disc, which I've tried to do, but my XP disc gives me tons of error messages when trying to copy it.

- The HDD or CPU are starting to go.

Given my description, could anyone offer any advice? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

Well...I would do a clean install, in order to determine what the problems might be.

An older system, with a known history of malware problems...I'd do the clean install to at least see if I have hardware problems and eliminate the current install itself from suspicion.

You have an 80GB hard drive...that is suspect, IMO, because 80GB drives were standard fare long ago in computer-time. Running the appropriate manufacuter's diagnostic would be a wise step, IMO.

You speak as if installing XP and inserting SATA drivers during the install...is a laborious process. It's not, just a few seconds of installation time.

As for properly slipstreaming an XP CD...of course, it helps if you start with the right CD (MS Genuine XP) and use nLite.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

There are many guides to slipstreaming on the Web...most of them work, if the instructions are followed. Using nLite seems to be the easiest way of updating the XP install install CD, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users