Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled Water on Power Strip

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ngase

ngase

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:12 AM

I accidentally spilled a small glass of water on my power strip that had my laptop, a lamp, a monitor, and a desktop computer plugged into it.

My immediate actions were to turn off the power strip, then to unplug it from the wall. I then proceeded to shut down everything attached to it. I got some towels and a fan and dried everything, and then let them take a 48 hour break. The laptop and lamp worked fine, but for some reason the when I turned on the desktop and monitor, nothing would appear on the monitor. My first instinct was that the monitor wasn't working, so I brought in another one that I know works, but that produced the same result.

When I press the power button on the desktop, the LED indicating power is on, but I cannot tell how far (if any) it gets through the start-up process.

I am now thinking it is probably the power supply, but wanted to consult with other people before going on. Do you think it is the power supply? Do you think it's something else? Could it be a combination of thing?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:20 AM

My first question is are you using the same power strip to power the devices?

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 12:43 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:29 AM

The exact power strip I am using can be viewed on Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812120401

However, after posting the link, I realized you mean the same power strip. I am powering all devices on this single power strip.

Edited by ngase, 26 June 2010 - 12:32 AM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:42 AM

OK let me restate my question, the power strip you spilt water on is this the one you are using now to power the computer?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

Yes, that is correct. Do you suggest using a different power strip to see if it makes a difference?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:47 AM

Yes, that is correct. Do you suggest using a different power strip to see if it makes a difference?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, there is a possiblility the contacts you have the monitor plugged into are corroded from the water, try plugging the monitor into a different receptical or try the wall outlet, if it works, your power stripe is water damaged.

#7 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:53 AM

The monitor works. Its the desktop computer I am concerned about. When I have it plugged in, it turns on (ask indicated by the LED), but the connection between the motherboard and the display output must be screwed up. I am hoping it is the power supply is just not giving any power to anything properly. In which case I would would need to replace the current one.

This may be a stupid question, but could I just take the power supply out of another desktop computer and put it in the one I am having trouble with to see if that makes a difference?

Thank you for your help tonight, but I am going to head to bed and will mess around with it more tomorrow. Thanks again, MrBruce!

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:37 AM

The monitor works. Its the desktop computer I am concerned about. When I have it plugged in, it turns on (ask indicated by the LED), but the connection between the motherboard and the display output must be screwed up. I am hoping it is the power supply is just not giving any power to anything properly. In which case I would would need to replace the current one.

This may be a stupid question, but could I just take the power supply out of another desktop computer and put it in the one I am having trouble with to see if that makes a difference?

Thank you for your help tonight, but I am going to head to bed and will mess around with it more tomorrow. Thanks again, MrBruce!

Ok first you're welcome for my help, I do this stuff in real life, altough I am retired from the commercial electronics field now and as my signature below tells you I'm furthering my education with newer modern technology. :thumbsup:

Second, in regards to your suggesting using a power supply from another computer, sure you could that as long as it is an ATX and it has enough Amps to drive the computer to its full potential.

You mentioned the connection between the monitor and the video port, you could have a faulty solder connection on the video card board caused by stress from the monitors video cable pulling on it.

You could remove the video card from the computer and examine the connections where the video port is soldered to the board, you might discover one leg is loose and a simple bead of solder can fix that, if you know how to use a soldering iron pencil, I do not recommend using a soldering gun on components like this, so don't use one if you have it. I recommend a 15 watt grounded pencil, you find those at Radio Shack along with a small roll of rosin core solder.

Keep us informed and have a good night for now.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 01:37 AM.

#9 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

This morning I opened up the case and pulled out the power supply and replaced it with one that had the same exact specs. I am still getting what it produced before. The fan on the processor is spinning, but that is the only disbursement of power I can see. I lightly put my finger on the hard drive to see if I could feel the vibration of it, and there was nothing.

Could it be the motherboard? Could it be multiple things?

I am panicking because this isn't my computer. It is my friend's father's computer. How would you tell him that I screwed up, but am trying to take care of the problem?

Thanks for all your help!

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

First thing don't panic, that's the worse you can do, it causes you to make hasty decisions.

Ok lets look at whats happening and what isn't.

You power on the computer via the button on the case, the controller powers on the computer and you see a processor fan spinning.

Do you see any lights lighting up on the case front?

Can you post more information about the motherboard such as make and model number.

During boot up do you hear any beep sounds? One means system is OK, any other beeps means a problem, you need to count the beeps if you hear more than one.

There is a possibility that something came loose inside the computer, how and why this happened, we need to figure out.

Is there any possibility that the water also entered the computer case?

Check the inside of the case for any signs of loose wires or loose plugs, I realize you just plugged in a different power supply, but make sure other wires are secure, sometimes we accidental knock a wire loose while working on a different area of the tower.

So pretty much what I suggest is you examine every thing more closely.

If all else fails, there is a possibility that shutting the computer off the wrong way may have cause a failing part or component to fail sooner.

Wish I could give you a quick answer that works, but no one said trouble shooting was easy, the point is you have to have patience.

Also heres a link to a web site that might help you with your diagnosis this whole sect is related to power supplies, but this site covers other components as well.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucompat/compat.html

Good luck and keep us informed.

#11 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

Here is a link to the motherboard specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3239113

I just double-checked all connections inside and still nothing.

If any water did make contact with the computer, it would have been only one or two small drops from after the initial splash, and the side it would have hit does not have any ventilation holes it could have gone through.

Something odd about this computer is that as soon as you plug in the power, the computer turns on.

Lights: Only the green power light is on. The hard drive light does not turn on. The green light on the PSU is on when plugged in.
Beeps: None. I was looking at other things online, and someone mentioned taking the RAM out to see if it produces any beep codes - do you recommend trying this?

Edited by ngase, 26 June 2010 - 02:29 PM.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

I have the link to your motherboard specs and images of your motherboard layout and BIOS menus.

You could try booting up with no RAM sticks in the slots to see if it produces a beep code, some people try that without the video card installed as well. It won't hurt the system doing that.

I'll get back to you once I am done with my research on your system.

hang in there, please. :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 02:44 PM.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

BTW you did connect the 4 pin-4 wire 12vATX power connecter to the motherboard from the power supply correct?

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

You never did say whether you replaced the original power strip like Bruce suggested
In the beginning there was the command line.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

You never did say whether you replaced the original power strip like Bruce suggested

Very good question and I believe it was not answered as I had requested or perhaps my question was misunderstood and not answered correctly, but I would like it answered again for clarification.

Thanks Eyesee :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users