Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pre-Boot Program

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Knock312

Knock312

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hello BleepingComputer Support,

A few days ago I updated my SpyHunter application to SpyHunter4. I do believe right after that my start-up sequence changed. This is what happens now:

Computer power is turned on.
Intel™ Inside Centrino Mobile Technology splash screen comes up for a few seconds.

***Now the issue! ***

A black screen with the following comes up:
Top line: "GRUB4DOS 0.4.3 2007-10-15, Memory 639k / 2030M, CodeEnd: 0x41538

Inside white lined window box:
Spyhunter <----- Highlighted
Windows XP
Windows Vista / 7

Below white lined window box: Use the {up arrow} and {down arrow} keys to highlight an entry. Press ENTER or 'b' to boot. Press 'e' to edit the commands before booting, or 'c' for a command line. The highlighted entry will be booted automatically in 2 seconds.

A new screen appears:
Starting System
Entering detection state, please wait...
Searching for Windows...

Another screen appears:
SpyHunter Compact 4
* scanning list directory
Finishing
Spyhunter.fix not found!

At this time the computer starts the sequence all over again. If I catch the initial window and use the arrow key to highlight "Windows", when I hit Enter, the Windows XP splash screen comes up and the computer boots up from there.

Any thoughts on what may have happened or what can be done to fix this start-up issue?

Regards,
Knock

Edited by Knock312, 25 June 2010 - 10:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Knock312

Knock312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

** ISSUE UPDATE : 30 June 2010, 12:00 EDT **

Issue fixed!
I received a response from Enigma Software Group's Technical Support Department. "Alex" indicated that I needed to rename the hidden C: "ntldr" file to "ntldr_old" and "ntldr_" file to "ntldr".

CAUTION!!!!! I thought I did that but when I rebooted, my computer said it couldn't find the "ntldr" file and failed to boot-up. I could not even get into the Safe Mode.

After an emergency trip to the local PC Doctor and $100, I am now back up and running like a champ.

So bottom line: I may have screwed up what I expected to be an easy fix (rename a file!) but high risk (playing with hidden files!).

That's it. This ticket should be closed out.

Regards,
Knock

#3 mpand875

mpand875

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

** ISSUE UPDATE : 30 June 2010, 12:00 EDT **

Issue fixed!
I received a response from Enigma Software Group's Technical Support Department. "Alex" indicated that I needed to rename the hidden C: "ntldr" file to "ntldr_old" and "ntldr_" file to "ntldr".

CAUTION!!!!! I thought I did that but when I rebooted, my computer said it couldn't find the "ntldr" file and failed to boot-up. I could not even get into the Safe Mode.

After an emergency trip to the local PC Doctor and $100, I am now back up and running like a champ.

So bottom line: I may have screwed up what I expected to be an easy fix (rename a file!) but high risk (playing with hidden files!).

That's it. This ticket should be closed out.

Regards,
Knock

Hi Knock,

I have exactly the same issue. Could you please spell the steps you did to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance,
manoj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users