Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 blank screen on install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stocker

Stocker

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

Hi guys, I am having trouble reinstalling Window 7-64 bits

Problem: whenever I reboot and get to the setup only a blank screen (setup background) and cursor showed up

Things I tried: I tried to insert the disk and do a clean install on another computer and I worked fine

System:

OS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz
Motherboard
EVGA nForce 750i SLI (Socket 775)
Graphics
L1752T @ 1280x1024
512MB GeForce 9800 GT (EVGA)
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST350032 0AS SCSI Disk Device (IDE)
78GB Seagate ST380811 AS SCSI Disk Device (Unknown Interface)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H50N ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Previous history:
- BIOS reset on 25/06/2010

Edited by Stocker, 25 June 2010 - 10:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:49 AM

fixed but another problem emerged. I found out it wasn't not loading but very slow like 5-10mins per transition between setups. So I formatted my drive and was about to install until it said "setup was...", I can't install windows on that drive in short. Now my computer can't install win on the 1st drive and my other drive is defective. I'm on my mobile right now if u guys wonder how I typed this...SOS!!!!!Last Hope!!!!

Edited by Stocker, 26 June 2010 - 03:55 AM.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

I am assuming your attempting to install windows on this drive (78GB Seagate ST380811) is this correct?

This drive is the Barracuda 7200.9 ST380811 80 Gb SATA hard drive. your first post lists it as (unknown interface)

I am just curious how you have this drive configured in your BIOS setup utility, it appears that is where your problem is.

If by chance I am assuming the wrong drive and this is the one that failed and you are using the Seagate ST350032 instead please let me know.

Kind regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 10:53 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

I formatted both drives and tried again but no luck, this time i rmbrd the message. It was "setup was unable to create...or locate...". Thanks 4 thr reply

Edited by Stocker, 26 June 2010 - 08:14 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

Have you at any point entered the BIOS setup utility?

Usually this step is over looked when a drive is added or its location in the system is changed.

I would boot the system and look for the key mentioned on the screen to enter the setup, it might be the F2 or DELETE key, once you are in the BIOS look for the main BIOS screen and see what drives are recognized in the list of drives, also check the menu that might be listed as the BOOT menu, there you will see 4 possible boot devices in the order they are scheduled to boot in, make sure your opical drive is No.1 and the hard drive is No.2 and you have the bootable windows disk in the optical drive listed in No.1.

If you continue having problems you could try defualting the BIOS by hitting the proper key related to loading default settings, no matter what settings you change make sure you save them to the CMOS by hitting the default F10 key which saves the settings and exits the utility.

Hope this helps and if not I'll be watching this thread.

Kind regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 09:36 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:07 AM

sadly i reset my BIOS before I formatted my drives and had not saved the previous settings.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Go into your BIOS and access the SATA Controller Settings and select them to reflect IDE instead of ACHI Mode. This will enable the interface to read the drive information. If this doesn't work then I would update my BIOS and then proceed with the installation of Windows. Your hardware maybe a bit old for Windows 7 to handle, which may sound odd, but it can happen.

Once you get windows install make sure all your drivers are updated before installing any other software like virus scanners and office applications.

#8 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

Hi guys problem solved! This is the best forum with the most quality replies out of all I've seen.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:24 PM

Hi guys problem solved! This is the best forum with the most quality replies out of all I've seen.

What was the resolution?

#10 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

It really isn't the solution but a work around. I first installed window 7 on another computer using the same drive and took it back to my original computer. Although my original computer still can't install windows...some kind of problem with the BIOS settings I guess?

Edited by Stocker, 29 June 2010 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users