Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Display Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Runie

Runie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

Hi recently my Acer AL1916W has been having an odd issue. My monitor can display my desktop fine upon boot up. However I have noticed that if I turn my monitor off, and then turn it back on, the monitor will turn on but nothing will be displayed. The computer is still running yet the monitor displays a 'no signal' screen. This results in me having to restart my computer so that I can once again view my desktop. I have tried unplugging and replugging back both cables that attach to my monitor and it didn't fix the problem. I also had a recent malware attack that caused me to delete some things through anti-malware softwares. The problem occurred generally at the same time as the malware attack, but I doubt a virus could cause a problem like this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

Hello and welcome to bleepingcomputer! :thumbsup:

I read about your problem and have the following suggestions.

First open your computer and ground yourself to the case by placing your hand on the metal enclosure. This nuturalizes static electricity.

Remove the power plug from the power supply.

Remove the monitor plug from the video card, then remove the video card from its slot.

Re-insert the video card into the slot again and make sure it is firmly seated evenly accross the slot and locked in if it is an PCI-E or AGP card.

Return the monitor plug into the video port, make sure it is fully in place and tight.

Check the inside of the computer for dust or lint build-up, if you witness any, I suggest you try removing this dust as best as you can. Some people use compressed air in a can to do this.

Next return the plug to the power supply and power up the computer.

Please observe the inside of the computer for all fans spining.

close the case.

Since you mentioned malware, you may have deleted some files or drivers that were needed for the system to run properly.
Go down the list of hardware, like motherboard chip-set drivers, video card drivers, make sure those are all updated.

Check your device manager to make sure it is not displaying any exclamation marks or X's. If you see any, that is an inidaction you are missing that hardwares drivers.

Good luck and please post back how things have gone.

Kind regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 June 2010 - 10:49 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Runie

Runie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

So I did as suggested and things are fine now. There was quite a lot of dust build up which may have caused it. The problem has been resolved. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

So I did as suggested and things are fine now. There was quite a lot of dust build up which may have caused it. The problem has been resolved. Thanks for your help. :huh:

I am glad my suggestions worked out for you and you are very much welcome for the help I have provided you.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users