Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RDRM

RDRM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

My computer is running quite slowly, and has been pretty unstable of late--freezing up, etc. I've run Malwarebytes several times, which seems to catch a small handful of items each time, but that hasn't solved the problem. I've tried to run Windows Update, but each time I try, (eventually) it brings up a screen that says it's unable to connect, with the "diagnose" button, which then checks connectivity. IE still works for regular jobs (albeit very slowly, sometimes crashing). I pull up Windows Task Manager and on the Performance tab, it almost constantly is running at 100%. Can anyone help me figure out and fix what's going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

Guess it's not clear to me...is Windows Update the problem (as you see it) or IE?

Can you connect to www.microsoft.com?

Are you saying the iexplore.exe is using 100% of CPU cycles in Task Manager, as viewed on the Processes tab?

Louis

System manufacturer and model?

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2010 - 05:15 PM.

#3 RDRM

RDRM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

I suspect that the problem is some sort of malware or something that is not allowing IE to connect to Windows Update. The 100% of CPU issue is not an all the time problem (it's running smoothly at the moment)--I'm suspecting that something is shanghai-ing my computer, but Malwarebytes hasn't caught it, and I have up-to-date McAfee running.

#4 RDRM

RDRM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

On the Processes list, there is "svchost.exe" (several items like that) with one using 241M of memory. But at the moment that doesn't seem to be an issue. Do I look under the "CPU" column to see the *percentage* of the CPU in use by that process at the moment?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

I'd appreciate it...if you answer all the questions I previously posed, thanks.

Is the Windows Update Site...the only website you cannot connect to? What about www.microsoft.com?

FWIW:

What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running the How-To Geek - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-is-it-running/

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users