Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd virus or even more odd hardware failure?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 seg42

seg42

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

We have a laptop that is failing in some really strange ways, the two theories being a virus (what I think) or spectacularly strange hard drive failure ( possible, but i think unlikely). It was brought in today, but the failures can be documented back to the 8th of June when something ate the documents and settings for one (the most active network profile) user. Apparently before then it had been showing signs of a massive slow down, so I'm guessing the problem started before then. To date, it has killed all the user profiles but the administrator, disabled all the network cards, stopped kaspersky from updating, and has disabled the device manager. There also may be some information files missing but the user can't remember if he deleted those himself or not. It did allow me to install malwarebytes, but i had to rename superantispyware to get it to install. Also, on the really strange side, it has locked out my ability to disable the Hamachi connection, and when I killed the service, it locked me out of the machine and would only let me log in in safe mode, where even logged in as administrator it still wouldn't let me disable the connection. I ran a scan with all three anti-viruses mentioned above and came up with nothing, not even a tracking cookie, but then I scanned it with SAS while connecting the hard drive to another machine, it still didn't clear out an infection, but this time it did get some tracking cookies. I'm scanning it with kaspersky again, but I am at a loss. disabling the network cards seem counter intuitive for a virus, but I'm not an expert. Thought?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users