Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An opinion on a design.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

I am fairly good when it comes to web development now, I know a lot of code and how to impliment it. My main weak point is the design side, coming up with a colour scheme and making it work. So I thought I would get some practice in by designing this basic page, it would be great if anyone could comment on what they like and dislike, be as blunt as you want because I am looking for criticism.

I feel the center part is compleatly wrong, maybe stretch it so it touches the top and bottom and add a thick lighter line to the left and right of it, say 5-10px. The content would go inside here.

Even though I doubt it, if you do want to use it I have no objections, go ahead.

Thanks, Wolfy87.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

A lot of design is based on three things:
1. Ease of use for the visitor
2. Audience
3. Personal preference.

With that said I personally think that your main content area should stretch down towards the bottom of the page. Other than that it looks like a fairly nice layout. It's kind of hard for me to give much criticism when it's not a real site and I can't see exactly what it's geared towards and how it functions.

#3 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

Thank you very much for that, it is not built and probably never will be, but it is just a practice of designing websites in general. And I understand it is hard to give an opinion on just an image of a website so thank you for doing so.

Wolfy87

#4 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

I'm thinking that the blue background, presumably with white printing is going to be tiring on the eyes. I would sugest extending the" Website" bar on either side like a frame around the darker blue, and then going back to the tan in the middle. That will allow black printing, and the use of more colour in the case of headings or images. I love the colour choice.

IMHO

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

Designing from scratch gives you a great sense of personal achievement.

There are numerous freeware templates available for download, which might give you more ideas,
if you feel you are weak on design.

#6 Leader

Leader

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

I'm thinking that the blue background, presumably with white printing is going to be tiring on the eyes. I would sugest extending the" Website" bar on either side like a frame around the darker blue, and then going back to the tan in the middle. That will allow black printing, and the use of more colour in the case of headings or images. I love the colour choice.

IMHO

I definitely agree with that. I think maybe also add a little beveling?

#7 teamo

teamo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:14 AM

good for starters, just my opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users