Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Max Settings?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:00 PM

I just recently got a GeForce FX5600XT 128mb AGP8x card (free of charge, YAY!). This thing kicks my other cards butt, GeForce4 MX420 64mb AGP4x. Now, with that bottleneck taken care of, I want to know how far I can push this with the following games:

Counter-Strike 1.6
- Current Settings: 800x600, OpenGL, 32-bit color

The Sims 2
- Current Settings: 800x600, everything HIGH, no smooth edges

Need for Speed: Underground 2
- Current Settings: 640x480, everthing HIGH (or ON), no texture filtering, no AA of any sort

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 w/Soaked! Expansion
- Current Settings: 800x600x32, everything HIGH (or ON)

Delta Force: Black Hawk Down w/Team Sabre Expansion
- Current Settings: 800x600, AA: 2x, everything HIGH

I want know if anything else can be done to get more a more visually pleasing display out of this card.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:21 PM

Every game has different graphics programming and so is unique; there is probably not ONE group of settings that will work across the board. Since most games have options to adjust settings, you can try different combinations that give you the best results for each.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:53 PM

Since I'm not at home, I can't really tweak the settings right now. But what I have done right now, will help any 5600XT owners to know what they can do with that card. So I helped and asked for help at teh same time. Thanx for looking at this jgweed.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

Most of what happens with the settings is to your own preference. I know some people that pretty much max out the settings for horrible performance, with a sub-zero frame rate, but they like it that way....

Some people turn all the settings as low as they can go, getting the most out of the performance while not worrying about the graphics. This allows people to play the game with very little hiccups in framerate.

I usually play the game on medium/high settings for the first few days, just to admire the graphics of my new shiny purchase. After the drooling ends, i usually turn the settings pretty low so as to actually PLAY the game with a better fps rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users