Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle B

Kyle B

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

The lab in which I'm an intern recently got two new custom-made PCs. Here are the (what I think is relevant) specs:

CPU: Wolfdale E6500 2.93GHz
Motherboard: MSI G41M-S01
RAM: 4GB PC3-8500
HDD: Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200RPM
GPU: GMA X4500

Now, as I try to install Windows 7 Enterprise, courtesy of my school, it simply won't install. At the screen where I pick the partition to install it in, I keep getting an error, saying "The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." This is on an untouched, straight out of the factory, hard drive.

The funny thing is, I downloaded a copy of the latest build of Ubuntu, and that installed completely fine without any issues.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925481

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Kyle B

Kyle B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925481

I found this when Googling earlier on. No dice. Thanks, though.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

I believe the clue you are looking for is right in your text in your opening post.

When you installed this hard drive (even though it is new and untouched) did you enter your computers BIOS setup utility to make sure the drive is configured properly?

Did you configure the hard drive to be the second bootable device in the boot menu and the optical drive as the first bootable device?

These types of errors are usually related to not entering the motherboards BIOS utility to have the BIOS recognize a new addition of a hard drive.

There might be an auto-detect all hard drives menu in your BIOS setup, look to see if that is true. If not, then you may have to go to the main BIOS screen and hi-light each entry and make sure it is not only set to AUTO, but make sure it lists the hard drive in the list.

Hope this helps.

Edit:typo

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 June 2010 - 11:16 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

:huh:-->
QUOTE(Kyle B @ Jun 25 2010, 03:18 PM) View Post
"The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."[/quote]

I would either make sure the BIOS is updated, or go into the BIOS and select IDE Mode via the SATA Controller Options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users