Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Integrated Broadcom LAN adapter comes and goes?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JonB39

JonB39

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

Hello, I am helping a friend with an issue on their HP Pavilion dv9410us running Vista 32 Home Premium. Basically, their wireless adapter is working inconsistently. Sometimes, when you pull up the Device Manager, the adapter is listed, but sometimes it is not. There is an on/off switch which has an orange indicator when the adapter is off, and a blue light when it is on. When the device is not listed, the light remains orange no matter how you turn the switch. Also, the tray icon for wireless networks will vanish completely when the adapter is not detected. 90% of the time, the computer simply appears to have no LAN adapter installed, but the rest of the time, it works without issue. Sometimes restarting the computer will help it, but generally it seems to come and go as it pleases. It's the factory adapter, I know it's a Broadcom, but not sure of a model number. I've tried reinstalling the drivers to no avail. I installed an external USB adapter and it works fine, but they are a nuisance and certainly not an ideal solution. Does anyone have any suggestions or am I missing anything obvious?

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

Have you tried removing the device via Device Manager...and then reinstalling it with the appropriate HP drivers?

Louis

#3 JonB39

JonB39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

No, as I said the adapter does not appear in the device manager.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

<<Also, the tray icon for wireless networks will vanish completely when the adapter is not detected. 90% of the time, the computer simply appears to have no LAN adapter installed, but the rest of the time, it works without issue.>>

I guess that I was hoping that 10% of the time...the adapter is visible.

Have you tried a different view of devices under the View settings in Device Manager?

Have you looked at the prospective registry keys for "ethernet" and tried deleting/rebooting? I've never done this, but I think that's what I would do if I had a problem with a NIC/LAN via Device Manager.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users