Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Windows XP; Internet will not work.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Saget

Bob Saget

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite M45-S169. The computer will not pick up any wireless connection, even though the wireless light on the front of the laptop is turned on. It will also not work when plugged directly into the modem. Under network connections, it does not find any wireless networks available. I'm using the original Windows XP Professional with no service packs. I downloaded the Altheros(sp?) wireless driver off of the toshiba website and installed it, but to no avail. When I goto the Device Manager, under "Other Devices" and all of the subcategories, there is a large yellow question mark next to each. This includes Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Modem, SM Bus Controller, USB Controller, and Video Controller.

Any ideas here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

Yellow question marks in Device Manager...indicate that the drivers for those functions need to be installed.

You may want to review items on the following page, http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...amp;x=5&y=7

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2010 - 10:46 AM.

#3 Bob Saget

Bob Saget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

Alright, I installed all of the drivers available on the toshiba website. Still no internet, wireless or directly connected to modem.

Two drivers remain with the big yellow question mark:
-Ethernet Controller
-USB Controller

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

Try these

Under operating system make sure you have selected XP
Once you have established connectivity download and install the service packs

Edited by Eyesee, 25 June 2010 - 12:44 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

The listed LAN driver...is the Ethernet Controller.

The USB controller should just be a Windows driver, from it's cache.

Unless I'm mistaken...you may also need to set up your Internet connection, ethernet and wireless, in XP.

Louis

#6 zalonen

zalonen

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

As it is notebook you surely have cd with drivers for it, just use it... I mean, most computers these days come either with recovery system of some sort or at least with disc that contain some kind of driver reinstallation utility... especially notebooks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users