Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Athlon 3200

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:04 AM

Hello,
I am building another computer and need a new one. I was planning to get a better one for my current computer and using the old one for the new computer. So anyways, I was reading a PCMagazine article on upcoming CPU's. The article said that AMD would unveil an Athlon XP named Paris. The Paris chip is supposed to be a crossover chip using the Athlon 64 core and socket 754, but it will run only in 32-bit mode. Then AMD is coming out with better versions of this chip. It didn't mention anything about a faster socket A processor, which is what I need. My questions are: will AMD make any more Socket A processors that are faster than the 3200? Should I get a $50 Athlon XP 1800 or this $190 Athlon XP 3200? Do you think the price of the 3200 will go down much?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:08 PM

They will always get better so i sugest you just go with the 3200, look on ebay I saw some good processor/motherboard combos on there for cheap, check it out!

#3 Xemus

Xemus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:33 PM

The Athlon XP has been designated at AMD's new low end processor (replacing the discontinued Duron). As CPU prices will always get lower with time, you are better off getting the 3200, tho running a 3200 with Windows 98 seems fairly pointless. Why are you keeping 98?

#4 newwavecomputers

newwavecomputers

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:13 PM

Check with our site for anything you need before buying an inferior product somewhere else.

#5 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:34 PM

I would get this chip! if I were you! You can get to 3200+ speeds very easy. And much cheaper

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-401&depa=0

#6 HuckerJ

HuckerJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:34 AM

Thanks, brunt. How will the mobileness affect speeds? And if I did get that mobile processor, what fan would you recommend for 3200+ speeds?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.

#7 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:57 AM

Howdy HuckerJ.. As for the mobile effecting speed's it won't. It is a very good overclocker and stays pretty cool!
For Fans I have 2 one is louder than a vacuum but does what is meant to do the other is a little more quieter

Loud As Heck

Not Very Loud But still does the job

#8 HuckerJ

HuckerJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 27 July 2004 - 08:05 PM

I was searching newegg and found a regular 2500 for less than a mobile 2500. Is there any reason to go with the mobile?

$80 - AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM

#9 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:32 PM

the overclock ability in the mobile is much more stable and get faster speeds. I dont know why it must be the die on the cpu is different but somhow there faster

#10 HuckerJ

HuckerJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:41 PM

ok :flowers:
I'm going to order the "loud as heck" and mobile 2500 tomorrow. I really was hoping to get a retail version of the processor so I could get an AMD sticker for my case. oh well :thumbsup:
Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Edited by HuckerJ, 01 August 2004 - 09:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users