Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shut down mysteriously and now stuck with "NTDLR" missing

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 redoak

redoak

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

The title tells the sad tale. I know I can "repair" using the XP Pro installation disk that I have. However, the computer will not boot to the CD drive. Is there any way I can access BIOS so I can change the boot order?

Other advice will be welcomed!

{redoak}
I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

<<However, the computer will not boot to the CD drive.>>

Explain, please.

Can you get in the BIOS?

Can you boot into safe mode?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

The computer is an Asus Model Z84J. I remembered after I posted that you can choose the boot location (not the sequence) by holding down the "ESC" key early in the boot up. I have done that and was given the instruction to tap any key to go to the CD reader. HOWEVER, the "NTDLR missing" message immediately came up. "Back to square one."

Your response is much appreciated.

{redoak}

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

Try changing the boot options in the BIOS...rather than just accessing.

Follow that laptops instructions for entering the BIOS/Setup...and change the boot options so that the optical drive is first.

The Ntldr error...can only come up when trying to boot from the hard drive, as ntldr.dll is part of the installed system files.

Looking at the manual for that system...it only comes with a restore CD and an applications/drivers CD. Neither of those will allow you many options for repair and certainly neither will be of any use in trying to follow instructions which are written for a MS Genuine XP CD.

Unless you have borrowed/bought a MS Genuine XP CD...you are wrong in your assumptions, IMO.

Louis

#5 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

I do have a genuine, "retail" installation CD I bought from MS. However, it is SP1, and I now have the OS up to SP 3. I have "slipstreamed" SP3 into a copy of the original CD. However, it has never been tested. Hopefully, it is AOK, since I came across the comment not to use a SP1 CD to repair a SP2 system.

Once before, with help, I searched for instructions for entering BIOS. We could not find any! Buried way down in an online operating instructions was the info about the "ESC" key "trick." I will once again go hunting for the info that so far has escaped me. Is it possible this computer doesn't have BIOS???

Thanks for staying with me and for the details you gave.

{redoak}
I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

It has a BIOS :thumbsup:.

The problem is that Asus is somewhat new to the laptop market (IMO), which doesn't augur well for support.

Typically, hitting the Delete key at boot works on more systems than not for entering the BIOS/Setup...also try the F2 key.

Louis

#7 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

The "F2" key did it. Thanks for that suggestion.

However, now a new problem. Once in BIOS, I find the startup items are
enclosed in parenthesis [ ]. There is an explanation that reads: A device
enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding type menu.

Is there a way around this??

{redoak}

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

The BIOS should reflect instructions for changing values...reflected on the BIOS screens.

Louis

#9 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

I have managed to reach the point where I am entering the commands that will correct the problem via "Recovery Console." Now another roadblock: When I tap "enter" after putting the command in place, the message "Access is Denied" appears.

The commands I am using, which were found on a MS forums site are:
copy d:\i386\ntdlr c:\
copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

"d" is my CD/ROM drive. There is a space after "copy" and before "c".

Set up, obviously, accepted my "administrator's password." What is needed now?

{redoak}

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

May want to review:

Ntldr Is Missing Fix, Romeo29 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/170057/ntldr-is-missing/

NTLDR Is Missing Fix - http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

NTLDR is missing - http://www.topbits.com/ntldr-is-missing.html

Louis

#11 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

The first "fix" contains this "assumption": You have only one partition or only first partition has Windows XP installed.

I have three partitions and all my programs are installed on "C." I believe this makes this "fix" inappropriate. Correct?

I very much appreciate the time and effort you are expending on my behalf.

{redoak}

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

Romeo meant that there is only 1 partition with Windows installed...other partitions don't matter, as long as they do not contain same or differing versions of Windows installed on them.

Programs are a non-factor.

If your optical drive has a different letter assigned...substitute it for D: in Romeo's suggestions.

What you are attempting to do...is copy files from the XP disk to the Windows partition.

Louis

#13 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

"Type fixboot C: and press Enter."

When I do this, this message comes up: The target partition is C: . Are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ?

What do I do at that point?

{redoak}

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

That's a standard question...akin to "are you sure that you want to delete this file"...answer is Yes.

Louis

#15 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

However, the instructions at the link did not indicate this would occur.

I did click "yes". Then I tried to use the indicated commands to no avail. The "Access Denied" error message came up once again.

I wish it were clear to what access is denied- "C" or the CD. Which might it be?

{redoak}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users