Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and weather.com

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

Weather.com won't load maps correctly in Windows 7. I also have a Vista machine and it loads perfectly on that. What is the problem? My PC is Hp Pavilion p6310f and is only 2 months old. The page loads slowly and then takes forever for the maps to load and animate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

Nice computer.
Which browser(s) are you using?

Try cleaning up the comp if you haven't done that.
Ccleaner does a great job. Just don't use the registry cleaning tool. No need to and it could cause serious problems.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Use Secunia online scanner to check your programs for missing security updates.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Edited by buddy215, 25 June 2010 - 08:28 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

I just tried Weather.com and it loads instantly,even the maps loads fast with no problem ,I have Windows7 64 bit

#4 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

I use Firefox 3.6.4 primarily but also have Google Chrome and IE and it's the same in all of them. I cleaned out cookies and temp files and ran malware scans which found nothing. I'll try some other scans now.

#5 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

I just tried weather.com on FX 3.6.4 and IE8 and it's loading fast (maps, too) for me on Win7 x64. Have you tried cleaning out your cache vie Tools, Options, Advanced, Network, Clear Now? I know when I haven't done that in a long time pages will sometimes load slow/wonky.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#6 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

Ran Advanced SystemCare and AVG antivirus scan and problem persists.
Tried to clear cache but when I clicked the button it just outlined the button with no sign that it was actually deleting it. Is that normal?????

Edited by j54ams, 25 June 2010 - 05:44 PM.

#7 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, that's how the "Clear Now" button normally reacts. But it's doing something, because my page loads always speed up right after I do it.

I'm on a new HP pavilion p6270z with 8GB ram and have no probs on that site. Do you have all three items checked on Tools, Options, Content tab? If not, check them all and see if that makes a difference. And if you're running NoScript add-on, be sure you're temporarily allowing all scripts for the page. That pretty much exhausts my ideas. Maybe someone more knowledgeable here will have more thoughts, as I've never had problems on weather.com.........not even on my old, lame XP machine with only 512MB ram! I'm a frequent user of weather.com. Maybe an email to the Customer Service link at the bottom of the weather.com page would be able to offer some suggestions to get the pages to render properly.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#8 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

I'm running a HP Pavilion p6310f Windows 7 64-bit with 6GB and this is the only page giving me fits! Tried all your suggestions to no avail! Thanks for helping or trying to! LOL! I even ran the sfc /scannow and everything was OK. I'll keep trying! Thanks again!

#9 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

HP G71t with windows 7 64bit, fine too.

But on topic, trying flushing dns

Open command prompt
type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes)

Once done, close command prompt, and open up firefox clear your cache/history/etc. and close it, open firefox back up, and go to www.weather.com and see if any difference.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:11 AM

Did you install advanced system care before noticing this problem?

If so, it could be the culprit. It makes changes to your system without your consent and has
a registry cleaner. Registry cleaners are not recommended by BC for good reason.

I would suggest to stop using ASC and uninstall it from your computer.

For one 2 page review of ASC, see link below.
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-sec...iews/30034.aspx

IOBITS was caught using/ stealing MalwareBytes AntiMalware's database last year. Since then
it's ability to find malware has been reduced to below average.

After uninstalling ASC I would suggest you use Microsoft Installer Clean Up utility to be sure it is completely removed.

Microsoft Installer Clean Up utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

Thanks everyone! I did as all suggested and the home page now loads quick but the interactive map would not load at all. We are farmers and like to use the Futurecast feature.
After restarting a couple of times, finally would load but who knows how long it will last! If it stops again, I'll email customer service or just use the other computer!!!!!!!! Thanks again all!!!!!
Really appreciate the ASC advice..had used it for years!

#12 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

Slow fix didn't last long. Soooo, compared Internet Options on HP Pavilion p6310f computer with working HP Pavilion a1637c one and changed a few options. Unchecked Use Smooth Scrolling and under Security checked Allow active content from CDs to run on My Computer which I think first item was what MAY have helped. Don't see where second item would have had any effect.

#13 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

That fix didn't last either. Now it's not loading the maps on the other computer nor my son's laptop! Will have to contact weather.com!

#14 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

Just tried something else.........Command Prompt>ping weather.com. Results......Sent - 4, Received - 0, Lost - 4. What can be done about that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users